PDA

View Full Version : Hands-free pumping question

netne
06-11-2003, 03:52 PM
Can someone explain the hands-free pumping options? I've seen hands-free nursing bras, hands-free kits for the PIS, and descriptions of how to jerry-rig your own hands-free system. How do these all fit together? And do any of them really work?

Thanks!

ginalc
06-11-2003, 11:44 PM
Yep, they work wonderfully! (but you may not need it)

If you're not familiar with the PIS, it is a cone-shaped system that fits gently against your skin. The hands-free kit is a plastic shield that goes over the cone-shaped piece. The shield then attaches with 1 hook and 2 rubber-bands to secure it and keep it from dislodging during milk collection. The shield has several knobs and the kit includes different sized thick rubber bands that are used to secure the collection device and shield in place.

I've used mine only a few times because honestly, I haven't had any trouble keeping the bottles from shifting unless they were nearly full. The suction on the machines generally holds them in place with no problem. Your experience may be different, but I've not needed mine very often.

BTW, I do like the way the Medela nursing bras fit. They are quite comfortable with plenty of give. Actually fit me better than Bravado bras. The Medela bras have special tags on the inside to use with the hands-free kit but I found the rubber bands annoying and have never left them in the bra (this is a suggested way to wear and use the bras).

I hope I answered all your questions. If not, let me know.

gina, mom to 3
BFing for 4 yrs and counting!

sunny2003
06-12-2003, 10:37 AM
Hi - I bought this hands free velcro band from babycenter.com - look here - http://store.babycenter.com/product/feeding/breastfeeding/pumps_and_accessories/3747

so far it works fine though I have not used it that much - it's pretty expensive for what it is ($35 for just some elastic bands and velcro though I got in on sale and through ebates for an additional 7% off) but it's just nice to be able to pump and do something else - my hands were cramping holding the collection bottles - btw, I have a PY. The cover shows a women wearing it under her power blouse, talking on the phone and looking at her filofax! Me, I just catch up on magazines! :)

stillplayswithbarbies
06-12-2003, 10:48 AM
now that looks interesting. One of the reviews said it even works for large breasts.

What has kept me from trying any hands free device is that I would still be doing breast compressions with my hands, so it would not be truly hands free anyway. But it would be nice to be able to let go long enough to click to the next post or something.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

sunny2003
06-12-2003, 11:19 AM
it works fine for me and I am a D or DD cup. and how do you use hand compression? only with ine breast at a time? of course I am a pump novice - I just strap and pump but have only collected 3 oz at the most.

stillplayswithbarbies
06-12-2003, 12:40 PM
With one breast at a time. I sort of balance the other bottle on my thigh and hold it in place with my forearm as I reach across to the other breast. I massage in a downward motion starting up above my breast and going down as far as I can, and press in to compress the breast. This usually makes more milk come out as I press.

I also smush both breasts together so that they are both getting compressed at once. (I apologize for that visual LOL)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

lovin2shop
06-17-2003, 09:57 AM
I pump handsfree everyday without any special devices. I get the pump horn positioned and then lift my nursing bra flap over the horn and secure it as I normally would. Once I get the suction going, they have always stayed put (even when full of milk). However, after doing this daily for 9 months, it has slightly stretched the cups on my bras. If you cannot close the flaps, then you can use rubber bands to hold them up over the horn. The rubber band goes around the horn and and can be hooked on the hook for the flap on your bra. Different closings on nursing bras can require different rigging with the rubber band(s). But, once I figured out how to do it without any extra equipment, I have been pumping away ever since. By the way, I have a PIS.

HTH
Amy
Drew 9/3/02

Mayan
06-17-2003, 01:15 PM
I could not pump without a hands free bra or holding the cones, they would just come off (there would always be some milk on my breast and that would ruin the suction).

But I really love to read, and pumping is not much fun (especially if you do it 5 times a day for 3 months).

So here's what I did -
I bought a really cheap bra that has a center seam, and cut a small slit through that seam (slightly smaller than the cone, because the fabric stretches). You might need to stitch the edges so they don't continue to fray, but it takes only 1 or 2 stitches.Then I slipped the cones in for hands free pumping.
and presto!!! you can do other stuff while pumping - surfing the net, folding laundry, talking on the phone (though I'm told that the sound of the pump can be heard over the phone...LOL "what is that noise in the background?" ;)

You can probably find a cheap one at Wal-Mart and such for 5$.

The only disadvantage is that you need to take off your bra and slip the hands free bra on, but from the velcro contraption shown, it looks like you need to take off your regular bra there too.
This way is much cheaper.

There are also bras that have a slit with lining in them so that you can wear the bra, open the flap for pumping and close it with no need to remove your regular bras, but again, they are very expensive, and you need more that one.

http://www.easyexpressionproducts.com/

Suprisingly, I found that using the hands free bra I would get much more milk. The reason, I think, is that with holding the cups, you keep moving them around as you shift and it changes the angle that the suction is applied, but with the hands free bra, the cups don't move, hence the suction is always the same, and that would give me more milk. I never did hand compressions but would still get 6-8 oz in each session.

Also, I could actually read quite a lot - multiply 15 minutes x 5 and you get more than a whole hour of reading to yourself, and it is GUILT FREE!!! (cause you are doing something for your baby...)
I would never allow myself to read in the middle of a work day, and now that I stopped pumping, I really miss my reading breaks.

I would never have lasted this long pumping without a hands free bra!!!

Mayan
mom to Adi (12/04/02)

btw, I have a PY and wear a D / DD cup bra...

netne
06-17-2003, 06:51 PM
Thanks for all of the advice! I guess I'll just see how it goes when I start pumping (planning on getting the PIS Traveler). Maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones who doesn't need anything fancy to pump hands-free. Now I have lots of ideas on what to try.

Thanks!

Chrissy K
06-18-2003, 11:19 PM
A tip from the Working and Pumping boards (http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-ppworkpump) is to use a rubberband and paperclip to secure the horns in place.
It really works and you probably already have these on hand.
I have the FancyFree hands free bra but the rubberband trick is neater and quicker.
hth

mom2kandj
06-19-2003, 01:37 AM
Don't laugh! MEDICAL TAPE! When I pumped at work, the only place available for pumping was in the one of the exam rooms in the first aid facility. I quickly grew bored and found it difficult to read my magazines while pumping. Yes, the cones were suctioned to me, but it didn't take much to dislogde them. I could pump with one arm/hand holding it all in place or I could use the tape I found on the counter! I found that the easiest way was to make sure the underside of the cone was tucked into the bottom of my nursing bra and then stick one piece of tape on the top of each cone and my boob. The clear stuff that tears easily is the best! HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie(30 months)
and Jack(14 months)

P.S. Have the PIS backpack(traveler?) and I loved it!