PDA

View Full Version : Nipple pain...any ideas?

parkersmama
06-15-2003, 02:21 PM
In the last few days, I've started having nipple pain again and also some itching and mild pinkness. Dd is now 6 weeks old so I'm pretty sure it's not a latch problem or anything like that...I'm over the initial soreness. I'm desperately searching for it to be anything other than thrush!! LOL! She doesn't have any white in her mouth but I'm aware that I can have it without her having it. I'm prepared to start treating it as yeast but wondering if anyone else has experienced this and found it to be something else? TIA!!

Momof3Labs
06-15-2003, 06:41 PM
I know that this isn't what you wanted to hear, but thrush is the first thing that comes to my mind. Especially the itching - my dog used to get fungal/yeast infections frequently, and she would get sooooo itchy.

I have heard that baby can have thrush without the white patches - but either way, if you have it, you both need to be treated in order to clear it up completely.

Sorry!!

trumansmom
06-15-2003, 08:56 PM
Sorry, sounds like yeast. Yuck! I would call your doc immediately and start treating it as soon as you possible can. I got it when DS was about 3 or 4 months old and we were on vacation. I didn't do anything about it until we got back and it took a looooong time to go away.

Good luck getting rid of it quickly!
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01

MartiesMom2B
06-15-2003, 09:07 PM
I had nipple pain from my nipples rubbing against inferior nursing pads that I didn't change often enough. Maybe it could be that, but I would check with doc first about the yeast infection.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

parkersmama
06-15-2003, 09:51 PM
Thanks, everyone. Well, you're just confirming my fears. I had a terrible case of yeast with Wesley that took us forever to clear up so I'm really dreading it. Fortunately I have my 6 week checkup with my doctor tomorrow so I'll be able to ask him about it and get the necessary meds.

posterelle
06-18-2003, 02:40 PM
I had the same thing, & it was either yeast and/or bad latch -- it's actually very hard to tell, & now that the pain is mostly gone, I'm still not sure.

Even though my son had thrush, it's possible I didn't, & most doctors don't culture your breast, so in the end, you may not know. (e.g. it cld be something besides yeast)

I also thought my latch was fine, but refining it (plus using Oxystat on nipples for possible yeast) helped tremendously. If you've already bf 2 kids, you prob. know how to latch. But still, you may not want to rule that out -- a tiny adjustment can make a difference. good luck!

dueinmay
06-18-2003, 03:30 PM
What is Oxystat? Is it OTC or do you need an rx? Think I may have a yeast problem (same symptoms described above) but I'd rather not have to schedule a drs appt (espec if they won't do a culture anyway!).

Thanks!!

Rebecca

It's a girl!

posterelle
06-19-2003, 12:24 PM
Oxystat is a prescription anti-fungal cream. It's stronger than Nystatin, & has to be washed off prior to bfeeding, which is a bit of a pain. But much less drastic than Diflucan.

You can also, of course, use Gentian Violet, which is OTC (you get it at a pharmacy). Messy, but considered v. effective for yeast.

HTH!

BeverlyJ
06-20-2003, 12:06 PM
Do yourself a favor and DEMAND a culture of your breast. Do your best to find a doc or LC who doesn't think you're overreacting to an insignificant little bug.

Further, I heard about some NEW research that reported that yeast infections are much more common than originally thought and that there are multiple strands. If I remember correctly, the report also said that the culturing will help determine the strand, which will determine the recommended course of treatment.

((Hugs))

BeverlyJ

parkersmama
06-20-2003, 04:22 PM
I guess I never posted an update....sorry!

I decided that it's definitely yeast although my dd has no signs of it at all. According to my books that's very normal. My big problem was that although I saw my OB (for my normal 6weeks checkup) and he prescribed Nystatin cream for me based on my word that I knew what was happening, I couldn't get our ped to prescribe the oral Nystatin for the baby! UGH! I really think it was his breastfeeding illiterate nurse that made the decision but she said that he said it. Anyway, after consulting with the LC's from my hospital (they are just terrific!), we decided that the best course of treatment would be to skip the Nystatin and go right to the gentian violet. I've used it before and it is a pain but usually works very quickly. So, we've been purple for a couple of days and I'm hoping to be done with it soon!

Other helpful suggestions from the LCs:
1) boil all pacifiers, bottle nipples, bottle parts, pump parts, mouthable toys, etc. for 5 minutes per day
2) use a mild vinegar rinse for your nipples a few times per day (1 T vinegar to 1 cup water), change the solution out each day
3) use Monostat cream if the Nystatin or GV don't do it...this one is supposed to work well and is least toxic to the baby...do wash it off gently each time before nursing and only use it for a few days as it can be a little rough on the skin
4) Gentian Violet should only be used once or twice a day for 3-7 days...too much can overwhelm the baby's mucous membranes and cause rawness and pain in the mouth
5) wash in the hottest water possible all things that come in contact with your breasts...bras, robes, pjs, towels, etc.; also use about 1 cup white vinegar in the wash
6) dry bras in the sun...yeast hates sun!
7) don't use reusable breast pads while yeast is still present...they are too hard to keep yeast-free
8) don't use disposable nursing pads that have any plastic in them...she said this is very important and recommended Medela nursing pads as one that is completely plastic free

Whew! I think that's all. I'm hoping to beat this thing soon as I've been in an endless cycle with it before and it was horrible! Doing my best to live with the purpleness for the sake of saying bye-bye to yeast!!!