PDA

View Full Version : Does my baby have PMS?

lisams
06-17-2003, 08:18 PM
This is probably a very strange question, but ever since my periods returned (surprisingly at 5 months PP even with BFing exclusively), I have noticed that my DD is grumpy and has trouble sleeping the week before my period. I'm wondering if the change in my hormones is effecting her also. Maybe it effects my milk supply?

Any thoughts or experiences?
Lisa

AugBaby
06-17-2003, 09:15 PM
Although I have heard that there may be a very slight decrease in supply or slight change to the flavor of the milk, I don't think it would cause as noticeable a change in dd's behavior as it sounds in your post. But, you certainly know your baby best. Could it just be coincidental and maybe she's teething?

I also wanted to mention that there are different factors that effect how quickly your period returns when you're nursing. If you give a pacifier, any other liquids/solids, don't nurse through the night, or spend any time not nursing on demand (work part time or pump and give a bottle) it is most likely that your period will come back quicker. It is the frequent nursing that appears to keep your period at bay. The current figure that I've heard mentioned is that a woman is safe from ovulating for the first six months provided that she follows the above guidelines.

Also, FWIW, you may "lose" your period again. I know some women who have not been regular again until a few years after weaning. I, on the other hand, had no such luck....but you never know!

pinkd56
06-18-2003, 01:09 PM
>The current figure that I've heard mentioned is that
>a woman is safe from ovulating for the first six months
>provided that she follows the above guidelines.
>

I was at my doctor last week for my post partum check up and he shared that 2% of all breastfeeding woman get pregnant within the first 2-3 months if not using BC. He also stated that typically if a woman does not use any form of BC and has intercourse reqularly (I did not ask him to define regularly, LOL!)that she will get pregnant between 6 and 9 months of breatfeeding.

lisams
06-18-2003, 01:37 PM
I believe it!! I got my period back only 5 months PP, and I am BFing exclusively, DD never took a bottle or pacifier, and is still nursing about every 3 hours (on demand) and waking 2-3 times for night feedings. I thought that with all of this demand feeding that it would keep my period away, but no luck!

Lisa