PDA

View Full Version : Advice regarding when to buy nursing bras...

ChrisH2
06-19-2003, 09:24 AM
Hello,

I'm curious if I definitely need to buy a nursing bra (no) or just wear my regular bra when nursing?

I am a 36B who is now a 38B (yep, small on top) and I have yet to see a comfortable looking nursing bra EVEN in a B cup! I usually wear a lightly padded bra, which is more comfy for me.

Any suggestions would be great. I'm thinking I should just wait to buy a nursing bra to see, first, if I can BF or not.

Thanks ladies!
Chris

flagger
06-19-2003, 09:39 AM
Ms. Flagger used a sports bra for the first week or so and then got some nursing bras at Target. However, last weekend she found some the same quality but cheaper at BRU.

The LC said to wait for a couple of weeks to make a huge investment as you don't know how big your breasts will be until after your milk fully comes in.

Ms. Flagger is now a 42DD and found bras that worked at both Target and BRU.

ChrisH2
06-19-2003, 09:42 AM
Flagger,

Thank you! That is kinda what I was thinking, too, but I love hearing advice from BTDT parents.

:)

Chris

nigele
06-19-2003, 09:45 AM
Hi Chris,

I think nursing bras are a great investment. They make it quick and easy to nurse. Using a regular bra and hiking it up can be really uncomfortable!

Definitely wait at least until the baby is born before buying. Your size is bound to change again by the time you have the baby. I was going to wait a while to make sure BF worked for me but I decided to go ahead and buy 2 different brands the week after DS was born and I'm glad I did.

I have a couple of Bravado bras that are super-comfy. That was the main feature I looked for in a nursing bra. I love them for comfort but they are not too supportive (I wear a larger size.) You might want to try them.

Good luck!

kaitlinsmommy
06-19-2003, 10:43 AM
I purchased 3 nursing bras in my last month of pregnancy and am really glad I did. I have one from Penney's and one from Target, which are okay. But my favorite is from Mimi Maternity. Of the three, it is the only one you can truly fasten with one hand and you will find that is very helpful. The design might be similar to Bravado.

DD is almost 7 months and they all still fit, even though I am back at my pre-pregnancy size because they are very adjustable. They really are an important investment, as you will wear them day and night until you are finished nursing

Momof3Labs
06-19-2003, 12:05 PM
I would buy one Bravado bra now, if I were you, just to have on hand. If you end up not nursing, you can still use it as a comfy sports-type bra. If you stay smaller, hiking up a sports bra may be an option, but may be less comfortable if you have tender nipples or are a little engorged.

C99
06-19-2003, 12:59 PM
Buy one now. Unless you have had breast reduction surgery, you will be able to breastfeed (although it may take a bit of effort & determination) and you'll want to have one on hand since your breasts will be full of milk and sensitive. In addition, you'll have enough to fumble with in getting you & the baby comfortable and latched onto your breast. Finally, wearing an underwire bra can contribute to mastitis, which I've had twice and wouldn't wish on anyone, so a nursing bra is essential.

P.S. I went from a 34B to a 36B and I've found my Medela and Sears-brand bras to be super comfy.

mam615
06-19-2003, 01:21 PM
I also love the Mimi nursing bras. I have about six of them -- the 100% cotton ones with no underwire. They come in white, black, and beige. I wore them for my last couple months of pregnancy, then got some larger ones for breastfeeding, and can now fit into both sizes because they are adjustable. They are expensive, but very supportive and hold up really well even with frequent washing and wearing.

emilyf
06-19-2003, 01:24 PM
One more vote for the mimi maternity ones- I have 3 and they are great. More comfortable, easier to open and more supportive than the bravado ones I have. I bought mine towards the end of my pregnancy, and the size has been fine.
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

LucyG
06-19-2003, 03:26 PM
I am also small on top, so even a 38B nursing bra is big on me. I have two nursing bras from Target that are fine. I wear them during the day. For night, I wear my regular pre-pregnancy bras (which I wore all through pregnancy, incidentally). I can just pull them down to nurse.

egoldber
06-19-2003, 03:43 PM
I had a couple nursing bras, but I personally found it easier to just push up my regular bra. That was much faster and easier for me than fumbling with ANY type of closure.

And at night, after a couple weeks, I stopped wearing a bra. I found it to be too uncomfortable and unnecessary.

HTH,

kensjen
06-19-2003, 05:00 PM
Which Mimi bra? I am on their site, and they have quite a few..?? Which one do you ladies have and recommend??
TIA!

mam615
06-19-2003, 09:14 PM
I'm pretty sure it's this one:

http://mimimaternity.com/Product.asp?category_Name=Nursing+Bras&category_Id=3071&product_Id=66463071

The cotton softcup nursing bra for $29.50. Apologies -- I thought it was 100% cotton, but it's 10% spandex. To see it in other colors, you have to go back to the main nursing bra page.

sophiesmom
06-20-2003, 07:26 AM
I love the Playtex Expectant Moments bras. I use the underwire alternative (no underwire) but the do have underwire too. They are very comfy, and VERY easy to open and close, which is a huge help ,especially if you are out or around people. They are sold at Kohl's (but i don't think online) and I saw them in the Penney's catalog. I also have a nice sports nursing bra I got from Motherhood a few years ago, only problem it's a pain to close so I mostly wear it at home. You could also try a regular comfy sports bra for home and just hike it up. You can hike up a regular bra too, but if it has some padding in it I would advise against it. I did this when I nursed DD and ended up ruining several bras (they got 'dents' in them and looked terrible under a tighter fitting shirt).

Also, I remember a nurse in the hospital telling me (when I had my 1st) to try to always wear a bra even at night, or else they'll be hangin even lower when you're done nursing! (which they are never the same anyway.. I tell DH I'm getting implants after kids ha ha!). I try to wear one to bed, but sometimes it drives me crazy and I give myself a night off. :-)

Stephanie
Sophia 8/4/01
Anthony 5/11/03

chrissyhowie
06-20-2003, 10:12 AM
I am also small on top and usually wear lightly padded bras. After DD's birth, I didn't prepare well and get any new bras thinking that I could get away with my old ones. Problem was that they were not convenient for pulling up or pulling aside (the padding makes it kind of bulky to do that). I then tried using a sports bra which was then too tight and got mastitis from it! So I would definitely recommend getting at least one bra that might fit well to try out.

I use these:
http://www.onehanesplace.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ExecMacro/product/product.d2w/report?style=15678

They are just regular bras (very inexpensive too!) but yet are easy to pull the cup aside for nursing. They have worked out just great for me. These wouldn't work well if you are large-chested, but for those of us who may not need much support, these are a nice option.

HTH,