PDA

View Full Version : 6 month growth spurt ? And related questions

nitaghei
06-20-2003, 10:50 AM
There is a 6 month growth spurt, right? If so, DS might have hit his a little early. This was our evening/ night/morning: (sooooo sleepy)

Nursed: 6.30 pm; 8.30 pm; 9.20 pm; 11.30 pm: 2.30 am; 5.00 am; 6.30 am

Cereal -1 tablespoon (dry measure) with 1 oz. formula - 9 pm. Guzzled down in 10 minutes - and possibly looking for more!

Our normal routine is more like 6.30 pm, 8.30 pm (followed by cereal), around 2-3 am, and 6-7 am.

Here's my question:

Is it okay to give him more cereal if he seems to want it? We just started the cereal this past Sunday, and the first couple of days he was somewhat cautious, but interested. Last night was the first time he not only finished it all, but seemed to want more. Other than the formula used to mix the cereal, DS is exclusively BF'd.

TIA

Nita

wendmatt
06-21-2003, 12:39 AM
I think if he wants more it's fine. Be careful with constipation if it's rice cereal but if he's doing OK otherwise, go for it! I think there is a 6 month growth spurt but it could also be teething which makes them want to nurse more for comfort.....that's what I've been saying about Emily for a month and a half now and still no teeth!!
Good luck
Wendy Mum to Emily Maya 11/21/02

FloridaMomtoBe
06-21-2003, 08:55 AM
We started Josh on cereal at just over 5 months (sounds about the same as you), did that for maybe a week and a half or two weeks before letting him try other solids, which he liked much more than the cereal. You can definitely increase the amount of cereal and/or try the other solids (I started with veggies.)

By the time he went for his 6 month check-up, Josh was eating some cereal plus a 4-oz jar of fruit or veggie each day. Right before we went to the dr at 6-mos, I read in a magazine that by 7 or 8 months, they could/should be eating 12 ounces of solids and I thought I was doing something really wrong. But the doctor said everything was fine since Josh was growing normally, but he did say Josh would eat a lot more if I offered it. Well, we did, and he did - building up his solid intake a lot by 6-1/2 or 7 months.

I found myself doing a lot of experimenting with different types and quantities of foods, as well as schedules both for eating and sleeping...because as they eat more in quantity they eat less frequently (which is nice). Hopefully, before long you'll have less sleepless nights.

teddy
06-21-2003, 11:36 AM
Michele,
What kind of schedule to you have for Josh? I am having a hard time fitting in all the solids with the breastfeeding. Sometimes DD does not want solids at all. She is not even close to 12 oz of solids a day and I am wondering if I am doing something wrong also. She was born on 11/15/02. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks :)

Momof3Labs
06-21-2003, 11:51 AM
Colin is 6 weeks older than your baby and is at about 8-9 oz of solids a day. The guideline is that AT LEAST 90% of baby's calories in the first year should come from breastmilk or formula, so I wouldn't be in any rush to push up to 12oz/day.

I prefer the idea of following your baby's lead. Some days Colin eats more than others, and that's fine - he's healthy and growing, so I'm not going to worry about it.

You can always talk to your ped if you are concerned that your baby isn't taking in enough solids.

sparkeze
06-23-2003, 12:52 PM
There's no need for any amount of solids for 6 mos. It's just for practice really.

All babies have growth spurts at different times too, and when babies start teething they seem to want to nurse more too.

If your baby wants more solids feel free to give more, but just remember that solids shouldn't *replace* nursings as much as supplement them at this age.

nitaghei
06-24-2003, 11:01 AM
Thanks everyone!

Sorry for the delayed response - but I got hit by a major migraine; I even had to take the day off from work yesterday.

Thanks for the input. I think I might try avocado next. It's one of my favorite things!

And so far the cereal is supplementing nursing. Right now, DS nurses, then has the cereal, and finishes up with nursing again, if he's still hungry.

But, for whatever reason, DS actually slept from 11 pm to 5 am the last couple of nights. YEEEAAA! Now, if only the migraines were under control, I'd actually begin to feel like a functioning human being again.

Maybe I should head over to the Bitching Post to complain - every other woman with migraines that I know got tremendous relief during pregnancy and nursing. But I couldn't be that lucky.:'(

Nita