PDA

View Full Version : EBM for daycare

barbarhow
06-22-2003, 08:43 PM
I am returning to work this week and have no clue how much EBM to take with Jack to daycare. He is 12 weeks old, weighs about 11 lbs so I am thinking that based upon what I saw in a previous post by Gina that He should be taking about 30 ounces a day? He will be at day care from 8-5p. I only get between 2 and 2.5 ounces every time I pump. He rarely takes a full 4 ounces when he gets a supplemental bottle. Any thoughts?
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

ginalc
06-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Hi Barbara,

Can you believe that Jack is 12 weeks old already!?! :)

Remember that the numbers I gave are simply guidelines and averages. Some babies will need more, others less. Don't get too caught up on "ounces and amounts". Send 16 ounces EBM and if they have freezer space, you can send a spare. Whatever you pump from the previous day should be adequate to carry your little one through the day.

A good way to start the day is nurse on one side and pump on the other. I almost always get the most amount using this technique.

Let us know how things go for both of you!!! :)

gina, mom to 3

Lisa_Seattle_2002
06-23-2003, 01:23 AM
You might want to make up a few small bottles (2-3 oz. each) and then send a few "spare" ounces in a seperate bottle (no nipple). So, if he finishes a bottle they can pour another ounce into it for him. This is what we did when I first went back. This way you don't make bottles too big that he doesn't finish - no waste. Check out the "Working and Pumping" message board on ParentsPlace (iVillage).
HTH,
Lisa
Zoe 7/16/02

barbarhow
06-23-2003, 08:10 AM
Thanks Gina and Lisa. What I have packed away now is frozen. I am basically working every other day and will be pumping at work. I am not quite sure what to do with what I pump at work. Should I bring it home and freeze it? or will it be good 48 hours later and I could just leave it in a bottle?
The 16 oz is about what I was guessing. I currently supplement him with 1-2 bottles of formula a day so they can always give him formula if I don't provide enough.
Thanks you guys.
I know Gina-it has flown. We are doing great and I am loving BFing. Your support is definately what kept me going. We are using the baby oil/eucerin combo and I am about to oil the stroller. What would I do without you????

ginalc
06-23-2003, 02:18 PM
Your schedule sounds ideal! I was frustrated to learn that after taking 4 months off for matrernity leave I couldn't return without working full-time for 6 weeks, then going prn. I stayed at home and let my license lapse instead. I miss patient care, but I really prefer lifting and wiping my own babys' butts to those of grown-up strangers!!! :)

If your freshly expressed milk is kept back-of-the-fridge cool, it is good for 5-7 days. I imagine that it would be best to just use this milk first and leave some smaller "sanack-sized" frozen packets just in case. I found when my oldest was in the care of others, we went through more milk because they discarded unused portions. Smaller frozen packets are easier to thaw as well.

gina, mom to 3

BTW, I really enjoy our evening rituals with the oil/cream. Kind of a mini-spa treatment for me and the kids. Helps us relax and unwind. :)

barbarhow
06-23-2003, 07:52 PM
I had to do a bit of negotiating for the schedule but I think they knew that if I didn't get what I wanted I could go elsewhere. I have been very clear with them that my family will always come first. It's pretty empowering to make that stand and stick to it.
Thanks for the advice on EBM. We've got everything packed up and ready to go for tomorrow. I'm not dreading it as much as I thought I would.
Love our evening rituals, too. So fun to watch him grow and change.

nitaghei
06-24-2003, 11:08 AM
Just a thought. You might want to do 2 ounce bottles, until he adapts to day care.

DS started daycare when he was 4 months old - and basically went on a bottle strike. He was averaging 4-6 ounces in a bottle at home, when my parents were taking care of him. For the first 3 weeks at day care he would have at most 1 or 2 ounces. I had made up 4 ounce bottles. Each time, 2 or more ounces of EBM got dumped. :-( It was only in the fourth week that he came back to normal. The only thing that saved my sanity was that I go to nurse him in the middle of the day - so I knew he wasn't starving. But it just killed me to see all that EBM being wasted.

Nita

PS: What was so ironic about this was that DS was in NICU in the first week he was born, and initially would only take bottles, and didn't get back to nursing until he was 7 weeks old.

barbarhow
06-24-2003, 06:05 PM
We had our first day today and he took 5 bottles of 2 ounces each-doesn't seem like much-and he is already on the small side-but hopefully he and I will adjust. Thanks.

shalini
07-23-2003, 03:41 PM
Was just reading your post, my friend has a DS too who was in NICU for a week and is refusing to nurse and takes EBM in bottes. It would really really help if you could send your tips on how you got DS to nurse.

nitaghei
07-23-2003, 04:22 PM
Hi!

After much agonizing, I did what I should have done right away - gone to see a Lactation Consultant. She was really helpful. The trick with us was getting DS positioned absolutely right the very first second. What had also helped that we had used NUK nipples all along, which helped him maintain his ability to suck. Also, the NUK nipples are slow flow, so DS didn't get frustrated when nursing.

Your friend's DS may have other issues - so I would strongly urge that she see a LC ASAP. It will absolutely be the best money she ever spent. There are lots of ways to get a baby back to nursing. My only regret is that I waited 7 weeks to deal with the problem.

This is a very helpful website:

www.bflrc.com

HTH. Good luck!

Nita