PDA

View Full Version : IS IT WRONG TO .................................

ATJ71
06-23-2003, 03:37 PM
I wanted to post this and get a sense from what you all think about allowing a child to go to bed with a bottle. Other than hurting teeth with the milk, starting a bad habit not to mention how it will be difficult to break when they no longer use a bottle are there other downsides to it?. I have a 17 y.o. babyitter, who I think gave my son a bottle to take in his crib last night. I am definetly going to say something, as i don't believe in a bottle in the crib. but wanted to know what others thoughts were. Thanks ALI

Marisa6826
06-23-2003, 03:48 PM
I know that you definitely aren't supposed to send the baby to bed with a bottle of MILK. However, I think you can do water if it's the only way your babe will sleep.

I wouldn't start the habit, though!

-m

brubeck
06-23-2003, 03:52 PM
I know some people who still used a bottle of WATER at night with the child until they were 5 or 6. The idea was that the child could have the bottle IN BED as long as they wanted, but nowhere else in or out of the house. This is the way they got them off of bottles and onto cups.

I don't think there is a problem with this unless you (the Mom) have a problem with this.

COElizabeth
06-23-2003, 09:12 PM
I am not completely sure of this, but I believe that using some bottle nipples also contributes to some orthodontic problems. But by far my biggest objection to the bottle in bed would be milk or juice (or anything besides pure water) sitting on the teeth for a long time. It's amazing how many toddlers end up having general anesthesia for dental treatment necessitated by "baby bottle tooth decay."

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

starrynight
06-23-2003, 10:38 PM
I am personally against this because lying down with a bottle can contribute to ear infections. I have never lied either of my kids down with a bottle and my 16 month old has never had an ear infection and my now 4 year old son has only had one or two in his life. While I have a friend that always lied her son in the crib with a bottle and he had constant ear infections, although this could just be a fluke I think it contributed to his problems.

Just my 2 cents on the subject! :)