PDA

View Full Version : Donate blood while breastfeeding?

cinrein
07-03-2003, 09:43 PM
There is a blood drive going on at my church and I was wondering if it's safe to donate blood while breastfeeding. My quick research on this brought up mixed advice, so has anyone done it?

Here is what LLL says about it: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/blood.html

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03
Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

jal
07-04-2003, 12:03 AM
If you are a breastfeeding mother, your responsibility is to provide nutrition for your child. Donating blood can't help you fulfill that responsibility, it could only hinder it.

Put your baby first and wait to give blood once she's weened.

Just my 2 cents worth.

mamahill
07-04-2003, 12:51 AM
That's kind of you to want to donate, but I agree - there will be plenty of times for you to donate blood in the future. For now, let your body support just the 2 of you!

toniteach
07-04-2003, 05:57 PM
So funny you brought this up! I'm bf'd also, and I am going to donate tomorrow. Like you, I was concerned and went to the LLL and Red Cross/The Blood Center's websites to research. It's a personal decision. I figure it's a holiday weekend, and our city is in short-supply blood demand as it is. I'm just going to get plenty of liquids and continue with good nutrition----dd will be fine, and I will feel blessed to have potentially helped 3 people with my donation. :)

Good luck with your decision!
Toni
dd Kelly 12.4.02

Jan Andrea
07-07-2003, 09:51 PM
I donated many times while BFing. The nurses had no problem with it, and said as long as I was 6 weeks post-partum, it was fine -- just to make sure I got *extra* extra fluids and ate really well in the week following. DS never showed any signs of starving after I gave, and I felt fine, too. I'd say, as long as you're healthy and feeling good, go for it.