PDA

View Full Version : lanolin stains? feeding at night?

sntm
07-16-2003, 11:04 AM
Breastfeeding going better -- Jack gained almost a pound in 10 days and we are now down to using nipple shields at night and actual breastfeeding during the day. Nipples still a little sore where the cracks are healing but much better.

SO, does anyone know how to get lanolin stains out of clothing? My sleep tops are covered in it and since we put it on after every feeding, I have to be careful it doesn't get everywhere.

Also, weird question but can boobs tell time? Jack eats every 2-3 hours during the day, but has these occasional stretches, usually at the beginning of the night, where he can go as long as 6 hours and I'm so tired and no longer so engorged that I usually sleep until he fusses. I know before I had increased my dwindling supply to the point that I was making more than he needed, but I'm worried about dwindling down again. Just used to boobs at night like a tick ready to pop, but he seems to be doing okay.

Back to work next week -- more computer access, less Jack access (sob.)

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

heva
07-16-2003, 12:02 PM
Yay, Shannon! I'm glad the worst is over so that you're now worried about stains on your clothes :)

And don't think this is the end of your time with Jack - GET HIGH SPEED INTERNET AT HOME!!!!!!!! I haven't been into the hospital for a week. Do it. NOW!
http://www.adelphia.com/high_speed_internet/service_plans.cfm

Momof3Labs
07-16-2003, 01:12 PM
Shannon, I'm so glad that it is going better for you!!

While boobs can't quite tell time, they do adjust quite nicely to demand. So as Jack alters his schedule, your boobs will follow a couple of days later. Remember, they are never empty - like a running faucet, they are always producing milk, so when he is hungry, put him to the breast and he WILL get what he needs.

Also, once your supply regulates (6-8 weeks or so), you will notice a lot less engorgement. Now, I can feel downright floppy :-) and still give Colin a good meal (or pump 6-8 oz or whatever).

houseof3boys
07-16-2003, 01:37 PM
Lori what a good way to put that...."floppy" can still fulfill the feeding process. After so many weeks of engorgement, I am finally starting (6 weeks tomorrow) to get less engorged. I still have to check by expressing some milk when I feel like I must be empty since they are not huge and full!

Shannon I am so glad you are healing as that sounded awful when you posted a few weeks back. I wear a bra with breast pads to sleep since I am a leaky faucet :-) so my stains get disposed of with the pads. But have you tried Zout?

cinrein
07-17-2003, 08:56 AM
Hooray! I'm so glad things are going better for you!

For the stains, I use breastpads whenever I use the lanolin so that my bra doesn't get stained. I have yet to sleep without a nursing bra (major leaker here). In the early weeks, before I figured it out, I did get lanolin stains on my bra and figured it was a lost cause. Several washes later, it came out on it's own. If you don't find something that gets it out, just keep washing the tops and maybe they'll come clean.

Around 6 weeks is the time when your boobs start adjusting to Jack's demands. By 2 months they are pros. It's really an amazing thing! Don't worry, Jack's doing great and you're doing a wonderful job.

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

SASM
07-17-2003, 05:07 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!! I have been offline for a while and didn't know about Jack's birth. You must be loving your Bugaboo :-)

About the stains...Biz is IT!! I soaked my bras overnight, then washed, and that did the trick. That is probably excessive, though. You probably could just soak them for an hour or so and that should be fine. I haven't tried Zout on lanolin stains but the way that it has been removing all of my other baby stains I wouldn't hesitate trying it out.

Good luck going back to work. Isn't nursing awesome once you get past the problems?!! :-)

MartiesMom2B
07-17-2003, 09:41 PM
Shannon:

I've been wondering about how you are doing. I'm soooo glad that things are getting better with you guys.

I don't have any advice about the lanolin. I too am a major leaker, so I guess I'd have to suggest Zout. It can't help. What do the stains look like? Are they greasy like the lanolin?

Don't worry about your supply because it will change as Jack eats. I was really worried about my supply when Martie started sleeping through the night, but I still have enough for her.

Good luck at work.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03