PDA

View Full Version : Nursing and Vitamins

agomalley
07-18-2003, 05:22 AM
I've been nursing now for 3 months. I've been taking the prenatal vitamins (when I remember...) but was wondering how long I need to take them. Are you still taking the prenatals and if not, which vitamins are OK to take?
Thanks,
Anabelle

Momof3Labs
07-18-2003, 07:04 AM
My OB wants me to continue taking prenatals as long as I am nursing.

nat12
07-20-2003, 03:13 PM
The ped told me I could take either my prenatal vitamins or regular ones, so as soon as I finish off my bottle of prenatals (in a few days) I'm going to go back to taking Centrum. I'm going to check with my OB at my 6 week appt just to see what she says, though.

Natalie
Ethan 6/14/03

pritchettzoo
07-20-2003, 04:19 PM
After not being able to keep down the generic hot-pink prescription prenatals, I started doing research. I loved the StuartNatal Duet vitamins that were freebies from my doctor's office, but they were more than $25/mo with our insurance (sucky, but that's another topic!). StuartNatal makes an over-the-counter brand called Stuart Prenatal (how original!) that I found at Kroger. Then we went to Sam's and the Sam's brand said "compare to Stuart Prenatal" so I did and it is the same! They're like $10 for a million vitamins. It's just as cheap as taking regular OTC vitamins, in case cost is a factor in your decision...

Anna
#1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

toniteach
07-20-2003, 06:08 PM
I still take prenatals and I've been nursing for nearly 8 mos. I think they're good for you, and your baby. Moms need extra iron! I also supplement with some calcium pills...but that's all. I got OTC prenatals at Costco for a song.

Good luck with your nursing,
Toni
dd Kelly

kapow
07-21-2003, 08:13 AM
I'm still taking my prenatals, plus a calcium supplement. I'll continue it for as long as the prescription lasts (through January, or six months BFing.) Otherwise I'd go back to my One-A-Day.

Tondi G
07-21-2003, 05:04 PM
I am still tkaing my prenatal vitamins and my DS just turned 2! We are still BFing a couple times a day and when I went to my OB a year ago for my annual pap/check up.... she refilled my prescription. She said as long as we're BFing of there is a chance I could get preggo again.... we opted not to get back on BCP... she wanted me on the prenatals.... it can't hurt and it's good for me and DS so why change!

Hope that helps!
~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01