PDA

View Full Version : Which ones are the best breast pads?

Grace_underfire
07-22-2003, 02:34 PM
I am starting to leak colustrum.... looking for recommendations on breast pads. Do I need stickers or not?

AngelaS
07-22-2003, 02:40 PM
No stickers. :) They make a velcro like ripping noise when you rip them outta your bra and they're harder to discretely move into postition without getting them stuck in the wrong spot or on your fingers. :)

I like the Curity ones (kinda big---good for night) or the Johnson and Johnson ones. The Evenflo ones are just TOO thin! And I never found any cloth ones that didn't just leak right thru. :)

MartiesMom2B
07-22-2003, 03:01 PM
I think I may be the queen of breast pads. I've tried a ton of them.

I liked the ones with stickers on the back because they were easy to stay in place when I nursed. They generally didn't have to be moved. The ones with stickys on the back that I liked the best were Lansinoh and then Gerber ones

Right now I'm using the Curitys and have no complaints. They absorb well plus right now they come with a sample of Aquaphor and a $1.00 off coupon. Plus it seems like Curitys have the most pads for the least amount of money.

Stay away from Even-flo, they gave me cracked nipples because they chafe and don't absorb very well. Also don't buy the BLIS system. Save your money, it doesn't work that well.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

jal
07-22-2003, 03:58 PM
My wife used the Avent washable pads.

I don't recall her having any complaints specific to that brand, but then I don't think she every tried anything else (other than some disposable ones we kept as backups in the diaper bag).

One of the reason we purchased the Avent is because it came with a laundry bag to wash them in.

Marisa6826
07-22-2003, 04:35 PM
I originally got some reusable ones (can't remember which brand), but thought they were horrible. The last thing I wanted to worry about was doing laundry so I would have clean ones.

I ended up using the Avent disposable ones and really liked them. They have just a little bit of stickiness to them. Not so much that it's like pulling duct tape off, but enough to keep them in place.

I had to remember to use them just a little "south" of the nipple so that the dripping milk would get caught. Otherwise the bottom of my bra always ended up getting wet.

A good rule of thumb is to check them when you change dipes in the beginning. Otherwise I was so tired I would forget and get rather soggy. :)

-m

stillplayswithbarbies
07-22-2003, 05:17 PM
I like the Lansinoh ones with the sticky. It keeps them in place, even when I take my bra down to nurse. They are thin so they don't show as much, and have the gel in them to hold the liquid.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

chrissyhowie
07-22-2003, 06:11 PM
I've used a whole bunch of different brands. Hands-down I liked the Lansinoh brand the best. Although they have a sticker, I never used them. The gel that holds the leaks is really great.

cvharris
07-22-2003, 06:36 PM
I've tried a bunch and really like the Johnson and Johnson super absorbent disposables. They carry them at Babycenter.com. They feel good next to my skin.

For some reason, the Lansinoh disposables made my breasts itch! I've also tried the Medela and Avent disposables and they are fine, I just like the feel of the Johnson and Johnson ones better.

deborah_r
07-22-2003, 11:43 PM
Lansinoh made my breasts itch too! I know most people love them, but I just can't use them. I use the Gerber Ultra-thins right now.

Sometimes I put a cloth washable one against my breast and a disposable Gerber behind it (between the cloth one and my bra). The cloth ones feel better if my nipples are feeling sensitive, then the disposable soaks up anything thatm soaks through the cloth one.

stillplayswithbarbies
07-23-2003, 07:51 AM
What a great idea!

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Torey
07-23-2003, 07:56 AM
I use Gerber's washables. I tried the Avent washables, but if they get really soaked they will leak. The Gerber's washables have a waterproof center that is more effective against leaks (not 100%, but better than average). I also agree that stickers are a pain. I really like washables better than disposables because they let more air in, and conform better so they aren't as noticeable.

August Mom
07-23-2003, 09:19 AM
This is really a personal preference thing. I also preferred the Curity pads without the sticky tabs. I had trouble leaking through the J&J contoured pads, although I liked the shape. I never had a leak with the Curity pads. Also, I found that the Curity pads were about half the price of most of the other nursing pads. I never had luck with the cloth pads either because I leaked too much. I wasn't a fan of the sticky tabs because when I nursed, the pad always got moved around, even with the adhesive and it was easier to readjust and smooth it out when it wasn't attached to the bra. Plus, depending on the brand, the adhesive part sometimes came off while nursing anyway.

If you're set on the adhesive backing, I think that the Gerber thin pads and the Lansinoh are best. The Medela ones are fine too, but way more expensive and, therefore, not worth it IMO.

I'd just start with a brand and see if you like it. You'll go through so many at first that you can try many different brands if you aren't satisfied with the first one.

suz
07-26-2003, 01:06 AM
I like the softness of disposable Lansinoh ones. They seem to be cheaper than the medela ones (I liked them too) and the quality is just as good. They have the stickers, but I don't use them because the bra keeps them in place.

-Susan

houseof3boys
07-26-2003, 10:29 AM
I am another Lansinoh fan after trying the J&J, the Gerber and the Medela brand. I just wish that when you have a seamless bra on you wouldn't see the breast pad!

The washable/reusable ones don't work for me because I leaked right through them!

Andrea S
07-26-2003, 11:42 AM
After trying many brands I like the gerber ultra thin

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

Jenmv
07-26-2003, 03:48 PM
I seem to be in the minority but I didn't care for the Lansinoh brand. The gel stuff always leaked through onto my skin(honestly I don't leak that much so its not like the pads were saturated) and I would sometimes find it around DD's mouth. That kind of freaked me out. I haven't heard anyone else mention that problem. I now use the Gerber ultra thins and am quite happy with those. Any of the washable ones I tried were too scrathy and irritating.

tiaz2088
07-26-2003, 09:54 PM
Another vote for Lansinoh pads. I love them!

Good luck with your decision!

Tia

Denyse
07-26-2003, 10:54 PM
I've tried several kinds and had the best luck with Johnson and Johnson super absorbant pads. The J & J regular ones didn't work well at all for me but the super absorbant ones work great and I use them all the time.
I also like curity pretty well and they are much cheaper.