PDA

View Full Version : Juice for baby?

nofeea
07-23-2003, 03:44 PM
I know that some people are totally against juice for babies because of the high sugar content. The Super Baby Food Book recommends starting juice at 7 mos. (diluted, of course.) It would be interesting to hear some more thoughts on this...

Karenn
07-23-2003, 06:14 PM
I'm interested in people's thoughts on juice too. I can't remember when Colin had his first juice, probably at about 7 mos. I found that he liked water just as well (if not better), so I started offering that between meals instead of juice. Occassionally, I'll give juice at meal time, but generally not since he LOVES fruit and is usually getting everything that juice might offer from the fruit that he eats. I'm not really opposed to juice, I just can't seem to find a logical place for it in his diet. :)

What's the rationale for diluting juice? I've read that too, but don't remember why. Is it so that baby doesn't fill up on juice calories instead of other more necessary ones?

lisams
07-23-2003, 06:29 PM
We tried offering juice at 7 months, but DD much prefered water so we have stayed with that for meals. I'm actually glad that she prefers water. I have heard people say that babies really don't need juice at all. I think we're just going to stick with water for a while.

JElaineB
07-23-2003, 07:15 PM
My ped said "no juice". I was planning on not giving him any, anyway, but it was a good reinforcement for me. The only liquid he gets (besides formula) is water in a sippy cup and he loves it.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

egoldber
07-23-2003, 07:21 PM
I have tried to introduce juice to Sarah many times and she hates it! The only things that she will drink are milk and water. When she was younger, I thought this was a great thing. As she gets older, it would be convenient at times if she would drink juice. Or when she has been sick, she will not touch Pedialyte (or it competitors). If I had to do it again, I would work a little more diligently to try and get her to accept juice at an earlier age.