PDA

View Full Version : breastmilk or formula?

helenyoo
07-28-2003, 10:07 AM
Hi
Anyone who can help me regarding feedings once I go back to work in September, I would really appreciate it!

My son is now 4 months old and he is a breastfed baby. He does take breastmilk from a bottle ocassionally but doesn't seem to like formula. Is this too late to introduce formula? What do you all suggest I do once I return to work. Pump and feed breastmilk (if so, should I just pump in the mornings? I'm not sure that I want to pump at work) or feed formula when I'm at work? I will be working just 3 days a week and I will be away from 830am to 3pm.

Helen

sntm
07-28-2003, 10:49 AM
It will be hard to keep your supply up, even for breastfeeding at home, if you don't pump at work, and it is just as easy to store the milk and give it the next day. Unless you breastfeed a lot at home, including at night.

I usually work a short day and pump once or twice while I am gone. If you could time it to breastfeed right before you go to work and right as soon as you get home, you could probably get by with one pumping.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

stillplayswithbarbies
07-28-2003, 11:00 AM
If you pump once a day in the mornings, you can get enough milk to feed her the three days you are at work. It would be better if you can pump at least once while you are at work as well, but even if you can't do that, pumping every day in the morning will get you enough milk for the three days that you do work.

You may experience engorgement at work, or leaking, so it will be more comfortable for you to pump. How many times does baby nurse during the hours of 8 to 3:30 on a usual day?

I go to the office three days a week, and my baby is 4 months old. I pump every day at around 6:00 AM. I pump twice a day at work at 10:30 and 2:30. That gives me more than enough milk for her, she drinks just 12 oz each day at the babysitter. The rest of it goes in the freezer as a backup stash.

If your three days are all in a row, and you don't pump, your milk supply might drop. If you are home a day in between and nursing a lot during that day, you might be okay. It's different for each person, so if you have had plenty of milk all along, you might be okay. Especially if you nursed a lot in the first few weeks and built up your supply.

Another thing to think about is that as the baby gets older and starts eating solid foods, you won't have to pump as often. I don't recall what age I went to pumping once a day with my son, but at some point I was only pumping in the morning and sending that milk to the babysitter for the day. It's not that hard to pump once you get used to it, so I would say at least give it a try. Most states have some laws that require your employer to provide a private place for you to pump, so if that is an issue you can go to HR about it.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03