PDA

View Full Version : Gassy baby

khakismom
07-28-2003, 05:40 PM
Help please! DD gets very gassy--so much so that she wakes up from sleep screaming in pain. We are using Avent bottles. Should I switch to Dr. Brown's? Do they work better with eliminating gas? Or is there another kind of bottles to try? Anything else I should do or try? (I didn't have this with first DD, so I have no experience with this.)

I welcome any and all suggestions! Thanks!

...Maureen

Mom to
Kathleen 3/22/01
Ellen 6/4/03

kels228
07-28-2003, 06:24 PM
Have you tried the Infants' Mylicon drops? It's supposed to help a lot with gassy babies. I would ask the pediatrician first before using them though, since it is kind of a medicine. Good luck!

Kathleen
Due 11/9/03

peanut4us
07-28-2003, 06:34 PM
are you bfing or formula feeding? if bfing, then you might want to look at what you're eating that can cause gas, like dairy, and eliminate it.

i would try the mylicon drops, and if that still doesn't work, you might want to talk to your ped. Sara ended up on a prescription gas drop called levsin, which was a nightmare, but it did help. It would make her puke her guts up if we gave it to her within 2 hours of eating! Not fun. But it really did help, and now she's off it.

Marisa6826
07-28-2003, 07:13 PM
I highly recommend Gripe Water. It worked SO much better than Mylicon for us. You can get it at Whole Foods. If you can't find it, PM me and I will pick some up for you!

We use Avents and haven't had any major issues with them. Make sure you have the nipple full of milk. If you haven't tilted the bottle enough to fill the nipple, Ellen will swallow air. Also try burping after every couple of ounces.

Good luck

-m

Rachels
07-29-2003, 07:05 AM
Gas that severe is probably not due to the bottle, although trying Dr. Brown's can't hurt. More likely, your baby is sensitive to something, and the most common culprit is dairy. If you're breastfeeding, you might try cutting ALL dairy out of your diet. If you're formula feeding, you might try a non-dairy formula. Give it a full two weeks to clear the baby's system. Also, regarding ff, there's about a 50% overlap in sensitivity to dairy and soy, so if your baby still is having trouble after two weeks on soy, it might be better to try a hypoallergenic formula.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

millerpjm
07-29-2003, 08:47 AM
Mylicon worked well for us (buy generic - it's way cheaper)...

I would also check with your ped. for other suggestions. My peds nurse was on the phone with me for about 1/2 hour one day helping me identify things I could change. If you formula feed - definitely check with your ped before you switch-that can also upset a baby's tummy. I actually started using the playtex disposable bottles when DS had bad gas because I could push all the extra air out of the bottle liner. That seemed to help too. Good luck... I've been there.

Jen

Proud mama to Thomas 2/3/03

ddmarsh
07-29-2003, 09:06 AM
One of my niece's had similar problems and in addition to switching from milk based to soy formula my sister noticed a difference in switching from the powdered to the ready to feed; her ped mentioned that he had heard similar reports fromm other parents.

Debbie

khakismom
07-29-2003, 10:33 AM
Thank you for all the great suggestions. I plan on getting some Gripe Water today. Mylicon works so-so for us. I've been burping her like a mad woman and it seems to be getting better--she actually slept 7 hours last night! :) Plus, I'm watching what I eat more (we BF during the day and use RTF formula at nite). Thank you everyone!!

...Maureen

Mom to
Kathleen 3/22/01
Ellen 6/4/03