PDA

View Full Version : Question about Boppy Pillows....

kels228
07-28-2003, 07:39 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of registering. Originally I had registered for the regular Boppy Pillow ($25). Then I changed to the Boppy Luxe, which is the same except 1) it's fuzzy material and 2)the cover zips off so you can wash it without having to wash the entire pillow. This Boppy is $35 though, and if I went with this one I think I'd also probably register for an extra cover ($14) to put on the Boppy when the other cover is in the wash/laundry.
Now I'm wondering if I should switch back. Again, it's a registry, so I'm not worried about the cost (if someone doesn't want to buy the more expensive Boppy, then just won't!), but I AM wondering if it's even worth it - if I do get it, someone will be spending $49 vs. $25 and that seems like too much just to have the ease of the cover coming off.
But then I think well....it would be so easy to just wash the cover instead of the whole pillow.
For those who already have one or the other, what do you think? For those with the original pillow, do you wish you had the zip-off cover kind? Or those who have the Luxe version, do you think the regular version would have been fine?
Thanks!!

Kathleen
Due 11/9/03

kfcboston
07-28-2003, 08:23 PM
Hello! I have a regular Boppy and haven't yet missed having a cover for it. Actually, I DID receive a cover as a gift but haven't even taken it out of the packaging (you can buy covers for the regular Boppy if you get that one). I've only had a handful of minor milk/spit-up incidents involving the Boppy, and a quick wipe-up did the trick for me. I also think I prefer the cotton surface to a fuzzy one, esp. since my DS runs on the hotter side. And really, it's been the RARE occasion he's in contact with the Boppy when he's undressed, so maybe the surface really doens't make that much of a difference? Of course, if DS starts to use the Boppy more on his own to play with, then I might be breaking out that denim cover. But as of now, no.

HTH!

peanut4us
07-28-2003, 08:42 PM
i got the plain white boppy and pink luxe cover. and i love it. i would not buy a second cover though. When the cover is washing i just use a diaper cloth under her head and rear (you never know what end its going to come from ;-) ).

i think it's far more convenient than being entirely without my pillow.

btw, not that you asked, but if you do get a boppy, make sure you bring it to the hospital so the lc's can teach you how to breastfeed using it!

Momof3Labs
07-28-2003, 08:47 PM
Well, I have a Boppy and my mom made an extra cover for it, but I hated it for bf'ing! The My Breast Friend pillow worked soooo much better for us. In fact, we didn't use it much for sitting or playtime either - Colin was mobile before he could sit up, so it didn't do us much good (he'd just wiggle his way out of it).

The MBF pillow has a zip-off cover, and I washed it twice in the 3-4 months that we used it. I did use a receiving blanket under Colin's face all the time - that helped keep the cover cleaner.

stillplayswithbarbies
07-28-2003, 09:16 PM
I have both kinds. The luxe one is better because it isn't "slippery" like the plain one. She slides around on the cotton cover, but "sticks" to the fuzzy one better. That said, I have never washed my cover yet, so the fact that it is removeable isn't an issue. I always put a burp cloth under her head.

I have successfully washed the cotton boppy, the whole pillow on gentle cycle and air dry.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

heidi_timms
07-28-2003, 09:37 PM
I have a regular Boppy with a removable cover and hurray for the removable cover! DD lets milk spill out of her mouth and has spit up on it several times. I have only washed it once so far, just because it's hard because I use it for every feeding. I think that I'm going to get another cover so I can wash it more! I hate the fact that DD's face is resting on it when it as been spilled on.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

COElizabeth
07-28-2003, 10:05 PM
I have both the Boppy Luxe and the MBF and use the Boppy the vast majority of the time. I find it more comfortable for nursing in bed, which is where I usually nurse. The Luxe cover is very soft, and I love it. If it's in the wash I just use the pillow without the cover but try to be careful. James is not a huge spitter so it hasn't needed to be washed terribly often. I know some people have successfully washed their regular Boppies in the machine, but my sister did and hers became misshapen. I mentioned it to a Boppy rep (I used to work at the Right Start), and she said that shouldn't happen and offered to replace it, but I still prefer the removable cover. I don't think it's a huge deal either way, though.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

kaitlinsmommy
07-29-2003, 12:32 AM
I have the Boppy luxe and an extra cover & am very happy I got them. I loved the luxe in the winter because it is very soft & cozy. DD didn't spit up but milk always leaked out of her mouth when she'd fall asleep. I liked having another cover when one was in the wash.

phirey
07-29-2003, 10:25 AM
I second the My Brest Friend instead of the Boppy. I had a Boppy but had a lot of trouble early on in breastfeeding. DD kept rolling out of position due to the rounded surface on the Boppy. Our lactation consultant had a MBF and using it at her office showed me how much better it was. We bought one on the way home that day. Most of out latch issues were solved right away.

Since then I have 4 or 5 other friends who switched from Boppy to MBF, and all are happy with the switch. I gave my Boppy away to a friend who is bottle feeding...

HTH

alkagift
07-29-2003, 04:42 PM
I want to chime in with the removable cover deal. I really needed it, as Matt let milk drip out of his mouth too, or spit up on it, etc. However, I use the Boston Billows pillow more often, since it's more flexible. I bought the white plain Boppy and the denim cover, I thought the luxe one looked fussy, but that's just a taste thing.

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

nola
07-30-2003, 03:02 PM
I have the regular boppy and I have never needed extra covers or fuzzy material. When it is dirty I just wash the whole pillow. Half the time I don't use the pillow, but instead just shift my hips in the direction of the baby or curl up with one of the couch cushions. When I have found it particularly useful is when I am working on the computer because it frees both hands for the keyboard. Also, the cushion is very comfortable for me to sleep on. I am surprised how it supports my neck and shoulder.

August Mom
07-30-2003, 04:38 PM
It's hard to know which you and your baby will like. I got the MBF based on the recommendations here. DS didn't like it and it really wasn't comfortable for me when sitting in the glider. So, we got a Boppy and really like it. We don't have the removable cover, but I wish we did. If you don't have a cover, you can use a burp cloth or receiving blanket to cover the Boppy but it would be so much more convenient to have a removable cover.

helenyoo
07-30-2003, 07:17 PM
I have the Boppy luxe with the fuzzy (fleecy) cloud cover and also the MBF. I leave one upstairs and the other downstairs in our house. I prefer the MBF. I like the plain cotton cover of MBF as well as the back support. IT's also a lot lighter and stays in place more than the boppy. The fabric on the boppy also makes me really hot! I bet the velour cover for the boppy would be a lot better. I think I'll probably use the boppy later for my son to recline and sit so I'm not completely unhappy.

As for getting a second cover - I don't think it's necessary. I washed the cover for MBF only twice in 4 months. And while in the wash, I just used the foam with a burp cloth or something. I usually try to have a burp cloth under my sons head while I feed him.

I like MBF so much, I recently bought the inflatable version for traveling. He seems much more comfortable eating on the pillow so I wanted to have it for our 2 week trip to SF.

sunny2003
08-06-2003, 12:45 PM
just wanted to chime in that I got a boppy hand-me-down from a friend and washed it in the washer by itself - and dried it in dryer too with low heat setting - it came out fine. that being said, I also think mbf is easier to bf with but boppy is ok once you get the hang of bfing.

Viv
Mommy to Kayley born on 4/28/03

stillplayswithbarbies
08-07-2003, 10:11 AM
I have both and I hated the MBF. It just seems like a hard shelf sticking off of you and the Boppy is softer and more cuddly. I felt like the MBF was impersonal.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03