PDA

View Full Version : breastfeeding ?? - when did you stop leaking? stop using lanolin?

sntm
07-29-2003, 09:05 AM
When did you stop leaking?
I leak mostly when feeding him from the other side, but tried going to church Sunday without nursing pads in (they are sooo obvious, like a second boob on top of your own) and leaked as I was walking up for communion. Luckily had the church bulletin as a shield (felt a little icky handing that back in).

When did you stop using lanolin?
1 of 2 cracks on the right have totally healed, the second is on its way, the left crack still has a ways to go. Will I need lanolin after they are healed? Everytime, just before or after showering? Do you have problems with nursing shields sticking to non-cracked breasts or do they just stick to cracks (particularly after a leak!)

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

stillplayswithbarbies
07-29-2003, 09:55 AM
I still haven't stopped leaking. At least not so that I am confident in going without breastpads, although some days they stay dry.

I stopped using Lanolin at about 8 weeks when my crack healed and my nipples stopped being so sore.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

mom2kandj
07-29-2003, 09:56 AM
Once you are healed and not using the lanolin, try expressing a few drops and use that as added moisturizer. Let yourself air dry before getting dressed. Try doing this anytime your boobies are out! It worked for me and the lanolin only came out when I was extremely dry, cracked or itchy! HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (31 months)
& Jack (15 months)

cinrein
07-29-2003, 10:12 AM
I still wear pads too, though I am down to one. I need one on the breast that isn't being nursed on cuz someimes it leaks a little while nursing. I guess the spontaneous leaking stopped around 3 mos.

I only use the lanolin when my nipples are sore. Once Jack sleeps longer at night, you'll be able to grease them good and they'll get a long "break" overnight and should heal faster. I would think that once the cracks heal, you won't need the lanolin. Though I sometimes use it when Anna hits a growth spurt and really nurses a lot--they get a little bit sore.

I've only tried 2 kinds of breast pads. The Gerber disposable ones don't stick at all, but they look really crinkly under the bra and shirt. The Johnson ones lay nice and smooth, but do stick when I leak or use lanolin.

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

lizajane
07-29-2003, 11:17 AM
think it just depends on the individual. i haven't used pads for a few months. i think i stopped using them at about 2 months. and i only use lanolin once every 2 weeks or so, when i feel a little dry.

hth.
liza

josephsmom
07-29-2003, 11:40 AM
Everyone is different with leaking, I think. I wore pads the entire time I nursed and, I hate to tell you this, but I still leak a drop here and there 9 months after weaning! As for the lanolin, I only needed it for the first couple of weeks.

Helene
mommy to Joseph 12/29/01