PDA

View Full Version : breastfeeding ?? -- how to maximize early evening volume?

sntm
07-29-2003, 09:20 AM
I have been getting Jack from daycare at about 5:00 lately and feeding him within an hour and a half of getting home, depending on when he is hungry. Yesterday he ate three times in about 3 1/2 hours (he may be going through another growth spurt, as he took all 12 oz at daycare). I can tell that he can't get much at each evening feeding, so I don't think he is just BF often 'cause he missed me. I usually pump at around 10 or 11, and then around 2 or 3. Should I pump earlier in the afternoon to give it some time to build up? Pump more often during the day -- if so, when?

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

stillplayswithbarbies
07-29-2003, 09:53 AM
I would add a third pump session during the day, and allow him to nurse all he wants in the evening, especially continuing to suck after it seems like no milk is coming out. (there is always milk coming out but it slows down the flow to a trickle) That will signal your body to make more milk. This early, your body is still trying to figure out what supply you need, so you want to nurse and pump as much as possible so you have a good supply established before the milk production is no longer being regulated by hormones ( at 3 to 4 months).

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

cara1
07-29-2003, 11:58 AM
That's not a bad idea, if you have the time. I used to pump my 3rd session either when I first woke up or when I first got to work (I would get there 20 min early just to pump).

nitaghei
07-29-2003, 12:09 PM
Actually, don't discount the possiblity of comfort nursing, because, he may, in fact, have missed you. My DS was older than yours when he started day care, and I go nurse him in the middle of the day, but he still wanted to nurse several times after we got home - as often as 3 or 4 times in less than 3 hours.

Let him nurse as much as he likes in the evening. It will help build your supply. And adding a third session, if possible, isn't a bad idea.

Here's my schedule, if it helps at all:
Nurse at 6.00 - 6.30 am.
Leave home at 8 am; drop DS at day care.
Pump at 9.30 - 10.00 am
Nurse DS 12.15 - 12.30 pm
Pump at 3.30 - 4.00 pm
Pick up DS at 5.10 pm
Arrive home at about 6 pm
Nurse immediately.
Solid meal at about 6.30 pm
Nurse again about 7.15 - 7.30pm
Bedtime!

Of course, DS is almost 7 months old.

At 2 months, when I came back (around 5.40 pm) he would nurse immediately, and a couple more times by 8 pm before falling asleep.

Make sure you're staying hydrated!

HTH

Nita

spu
07-31-2003, 04:10 PM
Hi Shannon!

(I feel like I haven't talked with you in ages!)

I found with my 2 babies that they definitely cluster feed at night, even still at 12 mos. Toward the end of the day, they're getting more of the hindmilk which is thicker and can take a little more effort (and/or time) for the baby, therefore they may increase the frequency or length of nursing. Plus the hindmilk is so yummy - it's creamy and dessert like, so that may also be another reason why babies nurse more at night. And on top of all that, after a big day for baby, they're so happy to be with mom again and the comfort thing is a huge part of their development. So I wouldn't worry too much about the frequency thing.

They say that any kind of rest in the late afternoon is really helpful for evening supply. Even if you can put your feet up on a stool under the desk or something to elevate your legs a bit. And make sure you're getting plenty of water to drink through out the day.

When you are nursing at night, use your fingertips to massage the breast tissue which will help promote the downward flow of the hindmilk. Start way up high near the armpit and travel down toward the center... and again from the sternum and acrosss the ribs. The milk ducts go way back there. At 12 mos, my babies do that for themselves so it's cute to watch. When I laugh at them they laugh back, so there must be something to it.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

sntm
08-01-2003, 08:57 AM
susan.

i know! you'll have to post a new pic of the girls. they must be so big now! a friend just delivered twin boys and is planning to breastfeed. i told her about you for inspiration.

that's good to know that he gets more hindmilk at night. i worried because he only nurses well for a much shorter period at night, then wants to stay on forever doing his little flutter sucks, where he basically just tongues/gums the nipple and only sucks or swallows on occasion. but try to take him off!! I feel a little guilty, like i am trying to rush him, but i barely got dinner last night (thank God Chip cooks) and he nursed 4 times in 4 1/2 hours, for 20-40 minutes each. the cracks on the right have healed (yippee!) but the left one is still pretty raw and bleeding, and both sides end up a little sore after these sessions.

i tried having chip hold him for a little bit while I washed my face, peed, and generally got ready for bed. Jack started screaming bloody murder and when I finally got him settled in to nurse again, i brushed my hand over his eyes and wiped away all these little tears! my heart nearly broke. his first tears...

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03