PDA

View Full Version : Fenugreek warning label?

heidi_timms
08-02-2003, 09:42 PM
I picked up some Fenugreek today at a chain health store called Vitamin World, which is kind of like GNC health food stores. I thought that I would give it a try to keep my milk supply up. It is their own "Vitamin World" brand. I noticed on the label that it says that it is not recommended for pregnant or lactating mothers, although the salesperson said that it was safe. Why do you think that it is labeled that way? Fenugreek seems like a pretty common herb used to increase milk supply. Now I am worried about taking it!

What do you think?

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

peanut4us
08-02-2003, 11:15 PM
my LC told me not to worry about the labeling, so u took it. and for me, it worked out really well. i know others have felt that it didn't do much for them, although i don't recall anyone saying that their supply decreased.

You might want to call your ped and just make sure it's ok to have pass into your milk. I know I mentioned to my ped that I had taken it and he didn't have any problems with that.

spu
08-04-2003, 11:09 AM
I haven't taken it, but when I was going to, I asked LLL and they said it was perfectly safe. It's an herb used in alot of cooking, esp. in indian and curry dishes, and it's been around for ages. It's not one of those new claim-to-fame herb things, so it should be ok. They say in order to increase your supply, you need to take alot though... you'll know because your milk (and sometimes your pee) will smell like maple syrup. I know some women take it for just a few days if they're sick or run down and it helps alot.

Calling your LCs or Ped is a smart idea. Always good to check a professional opinion. Try a LLL in your area too just to make sure.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

daisymommy
08-04-2003, 11:38 AM
Not sure about the safety for pregnant or lactating women (although that's pretty weird dconsidering most women take it to increase their milk supply!)--but here's a side note...I was going to take it when I was nursing Josh, but couldn't because I'm hypoglycemic. My doctor said it makes your blood sugar yo-yo up and down. So, Warning: If you are hypoglycemic or diabetic you should NOT take fenugreek or Mother's Milk Tea.

heidi_timms
08-04-2003, 05:49 PM
Thank you everyone for your input! It sounds safe. Thank goodness that I'm not diabetic or hypoglycemic.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03