PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Formula BEFORE Baby Arrives

JustMare
08-09-2003, 11:56 PM
Since I'm receiving so many Similac Advance coupons (I have 3 $10 off coupons) I figured I'd stock up since the powder doesn't expire until 6/05. I know my hospital uses Similac Advance.

But I'm wondering if this would be a good or bad idea? How common is it that the baby doesn't respond to a particular formula? DH and I have no allergies, if that makes a difference.

Also, is $25.99 a good price for a 1lb powder container that makes 240 ozs. I found this price at BJ's and they accept the formula checks. We don't really want to use a generic brand since we feel this is all the baby will be eating.

Thanks for your help.

KimberleyDawn
08-10-2003, 12:08 AM
I purchased before baby and ended up having to return the formula which was no big deal. William went through many brands before we had the right one. Also, many times I'd use a coupon for the initial purchase only to find that the formula wasn't working for him and would exchange it for another brand (not always having receipts) and would get full value back.
Kim

flagger
08-10-2003, 07:18 AM
As you get closer to your due date, you will receive samples in the mail usually from both Similac AND Enfamil. I would wait to see how your baby tolerates each before stocking up. It is something that is readily available and typically goes on sale at different times of the year.

Better to throw away a free partially used sample can than a huge 28 oz can. Also Cocoa is less gassy with Enfamil than she is with Similac, so that is something to consider.

As far as price, when we were in Ohio last week, we bought 28oz cans of Enfamil for $22.39. The local Sam's had 38oz cans for higher but the per oz price was cheaper buying it at target. Are you sure that the BJ's price is for 1 LB cans?

nohomama
08-10-2003, 07:41 AM
I just wanted to mention that baby formula is a highly regualted comodity. Formula can be soy or milk based but ALL brands, generic or otherwise, meet equivilant nutritional guidelines. Buying Similac, Enfamil, or some other name brand doesn't mean you're getting a superior product. So don't worry too much about the label on the can. Find what agrees most with your babe and works best for you.

Momof3Labs
08-10-2003, 09:29 AM
I hate to throw away coupons this big. Target has smaller cans that are almost exactly $10 - each time I got a $10 coupon, I'd pick one of those up for free.

In the end, if you don't use the formula, you can either return/exchange it (Target requires a receipt, BRU does not) or donate it to a food bank or women's shelter.

Jenmv
08-10-2003, 02:16 PM
I agree with Lori. I would use the coupons on the smaller cans if they are expiring soon and that way you won't be out any money if you can't use that brand of formula. I used my coupons at Meijer which is a 24 hr superstore in the midwest and every time I purchased formula there with a coupon I usually got coupons back for free cans of other brands such as Carnation good start. Between the free samples and coupons I ended up with something like 20 cans of the powdered formula free. Granted I bf and only supplement with formula while I am at work but so far I have used Enfamil and Similac and dd hasn't had a problem with either. I know a lot of people that switch formula brands with out problems so I guess it just depends on your child.

JustMare
08-10-2003, 02:29 PM
Flagger, Beth has mentioned in a post I found when I did a search on formula that you shouldn't look at the size of the can, but how many ounces of formula it makes. The can I was looking at in BJ's was a one pound can and made 240oz. She also indicated that some manf. use two scoops instead of one, or use larger scoops. So even if the can is larger, it might not make the same amount of ounces in formula.

You should have seen me explaining this to my dear cousin who only wanted shampoo that day in BJs. She thought I was a nut case measuring and comparing each brand! :)

That's a good idea to just purchase the smaller cans. I will do that instead. I just can't see not using them. I don't mind discarding a dollar coupon, but ten dollars is a large coupon!

Thanks all!!

brubeck
08-10-2003, 04:01 PM
The small cans of Similac Advance should be about $11 each at Targte. If you use your coupons you are almost getting it for free.

If it turns out your son doesn't like it, you can trade with another local Mom or donate it to charity.

JustMare
08-11-2003, 07:34 PM
SON???

We haven't found out yet :)

brubeck
08-11-2003, 07:39 PM
Oops, sorry, I guess I was thinking of somone else! Well congratulations either way! :P