PDA

View Full Version : Nipples discolored in dishwasher

billysmommy
08-10-2003, 12:14 PM
I just washed DS nipples in the dishwasher and we must have had spaghetti sauce in there as well because when I took the nipples out they were discolored.
Are they still safe to use?
Does anyone have a way to keep them from getting discolored?
Thanks so much :)

JElaineB
08-10-2003, 01:04 PM
I always use Cascade Plastic Booster in the pre-wash if I put nipples (or any plasticware) in with any kind of tomato sauce pots, pans or dishes. It has worked well to keep off tomato-based stains off the nipples. I don't use it any other time usually because it is expensive per use (comes in a 6.8 oz. tube for around $3 - $4. I have found it cheapest at Wal-mart, sometimes under $3.00 per tube.

To fix your current problem, I would try hand washing the nipples with dishwashing liquid (I like Dawn) and a nipple brush to see if the tomato stains come off, and/or try running them through a load with the Plastic Booster.

As for using the nipples still stained, I personally would be worried about tomato allergies since he is so young. Mine is 10 months and has tried tomatoes already, so if I had to I would use them on him.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

billysmommy
08-10-2003, 01:39 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a try and get some Plastic Booster for future use. If the stains don't come out I guess those will be his "big boy" nipples :)

egoldber
08-10-2003, 02:49 PM
I generally don't rinse before putting things in the dishwasher, but spaghetti sauce is my one exception. I have noticed that lots of things get discolored by that: bottles, nipples, sippy cups and valves, Rubbermaid containers, etc.

I just rinse the pasta sauce off and that solved my problem. It never even occured to me not to use the nipples that were discolored! It's just a stain, there's no tomato sauce left.

HTH,

HeatherW
08-10-2003, 06:32 PM
The Cascade plastic booster works great...just wish it came in gallon sizes!