PDA

View Full Version : Buying a nursing bra before delivery?

papal
08-12-2003, 09:16 PM
Hello!
I was just wondering, do most of you buy nursing bras before the baby arrives? In our prepared childbirth classes the instructor said that since your tummy is way up high in the last couple of months the measurements would be all wrong if you bought a nursing bra before you delivered. And she said the lactation consultants at the hospital fit you for a bra while you are there... but now i am confused reading previous posts about you gals buying the bras beforehand!
What should i do? Wait? I don't want to have to go rushing out and buy a bra after baby arrives if nobody else does it!!

Thanks,
Rashmi

stillplayswithbarbies
08-12-2003, 09:56 PM
I made the mistake of buying the bra before I delivered and had just the problem you mentioned. My ribcage went back to its normal size and now the bra I bought does not fit around the band.

I say wait until after baby is here, or get something that is more forgiving on size like a Bravado.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

kaitlinsmommy
08-13-2003, 12:07 AM
I bought my 3 nursing bras before I delivered and am glad I did. The last thing I wanted to do with a new baby was shop for bras. The bras I bought all have 4 different closure hooks. They were on the largest size in the beginning and now on smaller ones. They still work great after 8 months of wearing them day & night and I am at my pre-preg. size.

stillplayswithbarbies
08-13-2003, 11:36 AM
The last thing I wanted to do with a new baby is even *wear* a bra. :) I only wear them when I go out of the house.

I felt like I had to have one before baby was born, and now in retrospect it was a waste of money for me, or maybe I went about it all wrong because it does not fit. I rembember obsessing about it just before baby was born and getting frustrated because there was no where to try one on and buy in person. Looking back at it now, I realize it was just pregnancy hormones and I wish I had known to just relax and worry about it later.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

KGoes
08-14-2003, 10:12 AM
I went to a local maternity/breast feeding store that is owned and operated by an RN/lactation consultant about 4 weeks before my due date (two weeks before I delivered, as it turned out). She fit me with a bravada bra that's like a super comfy sports bra for sleeping and she recommended that I take it to the hospital. I tried some others on, but did not buy any. Since I am pretty big chested notwithstanding lactation, I was very comfortable in that bra and glad that I had it with me in the hospital. I felt more presentable to guests and was not getting lanolin every where. I would not buy more than one, nor would I buy anything terribly fitted or that I could not try on first. When my milk came in, I was actually a larger size than I was two weeks prior when I bought the first one. The one I bought is still comfortable, but the others I tried on would not have fit.
Just my two cents!
Kelley
DD arrived 7/30/03