PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning regimen for the Medela PIS

pilldoc
08-19-2003, 08:28 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am a first time mom and want to make sure that I am doing the whole pumping thing right. I have the Medela Pump-in-Style. My DD is almost 3 weeks old and I have started to pump to have a couple of bottles on hand when we go on vacation so that grandparents can give her a bottle to give me and my husband a little time on the beach/boat. I have been boiling the pieces every morning before I use them (tubing including). Is this really necessary if the pieces didn't come in contact with breastmilk (i.e stayed in a ziplock bag since last sterilization). I am borderline obsessive/compulsive :) anyway but this seems like a labor intensive regimen to continue.
Appreciate all of your wonderful advice that I have gained by reading the threads!

Ronda

C99
08-19-2003, 09:47 PM
You don't need to sterilize all the parts every time unless you have thrush. I started pumping in the hospital and the nurses instructed me to simply rinse out the cones (making sure to rinse out the yellow valve part) with warm water. Then let them air dry.

Momof3Labs
08-19-2003, 09:54 PM
I never sterilize my pump parts - just wash them in hot soapy water (with dish soap) at the end of each day. In between pumpings on one day, I rinse them with warm/hot water.

Every so often, I run them through the dishwasher.

I never wash the tubing since it doesn't come in contact with the milk (yes, theoretically it could, but it usually doesn't).

stillplayswithbarbies
08-19-2003, 11:02 PM
I have an Ameda Purely Yours, but the concept is the same. I followed the instructions that came with it and boiled the parts that it said to boil before I used it the first time. I have not boiled it again. Every now and then I run the horns through the dishwasher.

After I use it, I put the parts in the refrigerator with the milk because I will be using it again that day. (at work). At the end of the day, I wash the horns, and valves, in hot soapy water. I do not wash the tubes or boil them.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

pilldoc
08-20-2003, 08:13 AM
Thank you SO MUCH! I was thinking along the same lines as all of you but didn't want to go it on my own without seeking some advice. I just found that by the time I boiled the parts, rinsed them because of water deposits, and dried them that I had already missed several good oportunities to pump. You all are so helpful. I am so glad to have found this site. Hopefully I can add something to the site with my limited knowledge (I'm a rookie mom).
ronda
mom to avery 7/31/03

stillplayswithbarbies
08-20-2003, 09:12 AM
If you are going to be pumping several times throughout the day, I suggest not washing them at all in between, just put everything in the refrigerator. Wash them once at the end of the day. Or if that makes you nervous, buy another set of horns etc. and then you only have to wash every other time.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

KGoes
08-20-2003, 03:47 PM
I have thrush, so I have been sterilizing regularly. My maternity store recommended the Medela microwave bags for sterilization, and I bought them thinking these would be handy for when I go back to work. Hah! They are so easy I use them every day. If you are a bit compulsive, this is a 3-5 minute way to sterilize.
Kelley
DD born 7/30/03

calebsmama03
08-22-2003, 11:42 AM
I second this recommendation. I use the steam sterilizer bags ($5 for 5 bags - 20 uses per bag - at BRU) and LOVE them. I usually pump 3x/day at work and just rinse in between but use the bags at the end of the day to sterilize for the next day. Running them through the dishwasher once per week is also convenient.

Lynne

Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

stillplayswithbarbies
08-22-2003, 12:53 PM
The sterilizer bags are $3.99 at www.kidsurplus.com

http://store.yahoo.com/kidsurplus/med87024.html

I love that site!

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03