PDA

View Full Version : buy or rent breast pump?

dmhall
08-20-2003, 08:48 AM
Any thoughts about whether it is best to purchase a pump or rent a hospital-grade pump?

Thanks!
Diane

stillplayswithbarbies
08-20-2003, 09:08 AM
I knew I would be breastfeeding and was committed to making it work, so I bought an electric pump. (Ameda Purely Yours).

For me it would have been a waste of money to rent one, it was cheaper to buy one that I can use the whole time I will be breastfeeding and working.

Renting a hospital grade pump would be good for someone with a preemie who needs to pump to build up their supply until the baby is strong enough to latch on.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

mom2kandj
08-20-2003, 11:21 AM
I rented for #1 and by 9 months when I weaned, I ended up paying almost $400($40 for a kit, $40 start up/clean up, and $40 a month)! YIKES! Though it was expensive, the Medela Lactina was GOOOOOOD! I had first time working mom jitters and just kept extending my goal nursing date! (I wanted to nurse for six weeks, then four months, six months, one year...weaned when I was pregnant with #2!)

As for #2, I knew I could nurse for a good amount of time and that I would be buying a PIS. No regrets from me, except that I wish I had bought my PIS with #1! Good luck!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (32 months)
& Jack (16 months)

KGoes
08-20-2003, 03:43 PM
I went through this exercise about three weeks ago and decided to go ahead and purchase a PIS. The next day I went into labor (two weeks early!) and the PIS was waiting for me when I came home from the hospital. I have not regretted the decision for a second. The rental fees combined with the parts that I would have had to buy added up to only two months rental before the rental exceeded the cost of the PIS - at least in my area. I also recieved some great tips on saving on the cost of the PIS from the board and some internet research. I have been pumping regularly to relieve engorgement and the PIS is both easy and comfortable.
Just my two cents.
Kelley
DD born 7/30/03

houseof3boys
08-20-2003, 04:48 PM
I had the same situation as Kelley. We got my PIS two days before I went into labor (10 days early) and thank goodness we did. Our hospital actually had none of the Lactina's left (a very busy baby week) and we had put my pump in the trunk of the car when we went to the hospital and we needed to use it on Day 2 when the LC came to see me since I was having difficulty. I had fretted over which pump to get since I didn't need something so mac daddy since I was going to be a SAHM. Some said it was overkill but I LOVE my PIS and would do the same thing over again. You just need to weigh your options and decide if you want the convenience of an electric pump or can get by on a hand pump (everyone loves the ISIS). If you are planning on another baby you should definitely get the best pump you can get since you will more than likely get your moneys worth. Fortunately there are a billion threads on the "best" pump to get on this board so now you just have to read through them all like we have all done and then just make a decision. Good luck!