PDA

View Full Version : Starting cereal=gassy baby?

cinrein
08-20-2003, 10:18 AM
We started rice cereal a couple weeks ago and I noticed that Anna got very gassy. Not painful gas, just noisy and a little stinky (sorry if TMI).

Is this normal? If not, should I switch brands or type of cereal. We started with Beechnut rice cereal. I'm hoping to track down some Earth's Best cereal today.

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

Rachels
08-20-2003, 11:59 AM
I'd skip rice cereal altogether, actually. Rice is not so easy to digest, it turns out. If she's gassy, it sounds like her belly is having a harder time with it, even if you're not observing her to be in pain. You might try oatmeal instead, which seems to be easier on the intestines.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

egoldber
08-20-2003, 12:09 PM
Personally, I think that adding any solids will make many babies a bit gassy as they get used to the different textures and start exercising their intestines, so to speak. If she doesn't seem to be in pain, then I wouldn't worry about it. As you move ahead in solids, you may find that other things agree with her more. I am personally very fond of using the cereals since I think they make it easy to get babies used to texture. There are, of course, other ways to do this, but cereal is REALLY easy and I was all about easy at that stage, LOL! :)