PDA

View Full Version : High-calorie snacks?

Rachels
08-20-2003, 11:57 AM
Probably due to the reflux, Abigail only weighs four ounces more than she did three months ago. Yikes. I want to try to maximize the calories in her snacks, especially since she's not all that interested in eating right now. I LOVE Lisa's mini quiche idea. What else should I try? I should mention that Abigail is also refusing most stuff off a spoon, so things like yogurt are hard to get into her these days.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

egoldber
08-20-2003, 12:13 PM
One easy way to add calories is to add fats like butter to veggies and mayo to sandwiches, etc. As adults we are so used to avoiding fats, but its great for kids. Other than that, I would try hard not to stress about it too much. Sarah only gained 4 pounds between her 18 month and 2 year appointments, which was right on track with her growth curve. Their growth slows down SO MUCH in the second year. I'm sure as soon her reflux gets under control, she'll feel much more like eating!

Good luck!

celfsh
08-20-2003, 12:51 PM
Is cheese considered high-calorie? Olivia goes crazy for cheese sticks. She'd eat cheese all day if I let her...

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

lukkykatt
08-20-2003, 01:54 PM
I'm having the same problem. DS eats nothing with a spoon anymore. I've tried: cheese, french toast, mac & cheese, grilled cheese and black olives (are they considered high cal?)

Basically, DS eats at least one piece of cheese every day. He devours it.

KathyO
08-20-2003, 10:02 PM
I think they're only medium-high in calories, but DD is currently bananas for the Nutrigrain Minis, and they make great on-the-go snacks. In the homemade front, you could get a couple of mini muffin tins and make carrot muffins and morning glory muffins that use nice wholesome ingredients but still involve a fair bit of oil... As you can tell from the above ideas, my daughter is currently very taken with "miniature" foods that are scaled down to her size!

If the yogurt itself is still palatable, you can get the yogurt snacks for kids that come in tubes (I think Yoplait makes them), freeze them, and cut them in half to be nutritious "freezies". DD has been crazy for those too since we started on teething the two-year molars.

Good luck!

Best,

KathyO

ismommy
08-21-2003, 08:11 AM
Hi Rachel,

Isabella refuses to eat when her reflux is acting up too. One thing I've had luck with is freezing the yogurt. Also she drinks a lot - it's one of the signs for me. Other than that I just let her eat what she wanst when she ants it and try not to worry about how nurtitious it is. I figure when she feels better we can g back to a healthy diet.
Also I learned that the reflux gets worse when her stomach is empty so I alwyas make sure she has a bedtime snack. I know with reflux they say not to eat an hour before bedtime but our ped told us for a child it can be 1/2 an hour.

Hang in there, I know how tough this is. PM me if you want to talk.

Helene
Isabella's mommy

sparkeze
08-21-2003, 02:55 PM
4 ounces in three months is not actually that bad!

A few other ideas I've been using are:

Avocado cubes
bread or crackers with different nut butters (tahini, peanut butter, I've even used nutella, a cocoa hazelnut butter)
scrambled eggs
ice cream (I made some myself with half&half/whole milk/sugar/vanilla)

All these except the ice cream are finger foods for us. My DS loves to dip toast strips into a dip made of yogurt mixed with tahini. It can get a little messy but sometimes I have to get creative!

stillplayswithbarbies
08-21-2003, 04:04 PM
edited because I put this in the wrong thread. duh.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

sbaker
08-21-2003, 10:34 PM
Will Abigail drink from a straw? DS's absolute favorite food in the whole world is Yoplait Nouriche drinkable yogurt. Its high in calories, low in fat and loaded with vitamins. Even my ped thinks its wonderful stuff.
http://www.yoplait.com/products/Nouriche.asp

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to Rayce 02/09/02
Baby #2 due 01/05/04

cinrein
08-21-2003, 10:41 PM
The most caloric thing I can think of is a milkshake. If she likes that type of thing, you could make all sorts of yummy creations.

After reading Kathy's thread, maybe Abigail will be more interested in food if it is more attractive? It doesn't necessarily have to be high-calorie, but kids are really into mini foods, or foods arranged/shaped to look like a flower, or a face or something. She might be so taken with her "pretty" food that she eats more of it.

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

spu
08-22-2003, 12:56 PM
This is a really good thread and brings to mind some questions that I have about infant nutrition that maybe you can help me with. My babies are on the lighter side and I don't see them becomming pudgy any time soon... They eat pretty healthy stuff and nurse alot. Is it important to get table-fats into them (ie. oils, butter, etc.) I hear so much about how fats are good for babies, so I'm wondering why and what kinds are best. Is the fat in breastmilk enough? I'm trying to avoid seasoning their foods with dressings, etc. and so far so good.

thanks for your help!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

Rachels
08-22-2003, 09:48 PM
We have an appt with a nutritionist Monday. I'll post a full report. And Susan-- I'd LOVE to get together.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02