PDA

View Full Version : Help -- DS using me as a teething (gnawing) ring

Eilly
08-21-2003, 08:01 AM
Am thinking I will have to wean (though really don't want to yet) as DS is teething and using me as a teething ring. He doesn't bite -- well he has occasionally and I have taken him off and done the "ouch, no biting" routine which worked -- rather he gnaws right through the feeding.

I try to make sure the initial latch is good but he quickly works his bottom lip up and gnaws with his one tooth, which is on his lower gum -- on my nipple. It is very sore. I keep taking him off and trying to reposition him which makes him really mad. I worry if I keep doing this he won't want to nurse any more.

He is not a very oral baby and rarely puts anything in his mouth. I have tried giving him teething rings but he is completely disinterested and refuses to put them in his mouth. He will eat biter biscuits but still gnaws on me during feedings.

Help! Any ideas on how to stop this or how to soothe agonized nipples welcome. Thanks.

JLiebCamm
08-23-2003, 09:29 PM
My DS had a similar habit and some of the advice that others gave me included putting a little Baby Ambesol on his gums before BFing and letting him chew on a frozen washcloth to sooth his gums right before BFing. These tricks seemed to help inconsistently, but as quickly as the biting started it went away. Hope this helps.