PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear Dr. Phil misquote AAP bfing recommendation.?

lisams
08-22-2003, 06:14 PM
Today on Dr. Phil there was a woman who was BFing her 6 yr. old DD and she was turning to him for advice on weaning her(not the person I'd go to!!)and he stated that the AAP recommends weaning between 6-12 months. She tried to interrupt him by saying "Actually.." but he totally wouldn't let her get a word in.

Here's AAP's recommendation:
It is recommended that breastfeeding continue for at least 12 months, and thereafter for as long as mutually desired.104

I sure hope moms out there don't start weaning because of his inaccurate information.

Lisa

Kristine
08-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Weaning between SIX to twelve months? Oh my. I just made a post in another forum about the Dr. Phil that people seem to like so much. I just don't get it. Where the heck does this guy come from? I mean, he's bonkers!!! He must enjoy fame more than giving solid advice.

nigele
08-22-2003, 06:58 PM
Shame on Dr. Phil! I'm sure he'll get lots of mail on this and I hope he publicly corrects his error.

FYI, I found the following information on his website:

The American Academy of Pediatrics says that breastfeeding for the first 6 months after birth supports optimal growth and development and recommends that children be breastfed for at least 12 months. Thereafter, breastfeeding can continue for as long as mutually desired. Experts agree that the only acceptable alternative to breast milk is infant formula.

Here is the web page with the story: http://www.drphil.com/advice/advice.jhtml?contentId=par_breastfeed.xml&section=Parenting&subsection=Infants/Toddlers

Rachels
08-22-2003, 09:44 PM
UNICEF and the WHO recommend a minimum of 2 years, and the average age of weaning worldwide is 4.2 years. This makes me want to vomit. Someone should strip him of his expert credentials right now.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

trumansmom
08-22-2003, 09:54 PM
I was actually screaming "nuh-uh!" at the television!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

JElaineB
08-23-2003, 07:30 AM
I was at my in-laws watching it and said to them, "no, they recommend 12 months at least". My MIL agreed. My FIL was weirded out by the entire segment, so I can see Dr. Phil's misquote being misconstrued by "well meaning" family members. I think Dr. Phil usually is fine when he is helping people with relationships, but my opinion of him goes downhill quickly when he starts talking about other topics like parenting, weight loss etc.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Rachels
08-23-2003, 09:55 AM
Apparently the show was a repeat, and the info has been corrected on his website. Appalling that he would air it again with such gross misinformation, though.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Denyse
08-23-2003, 10:19 AM
That is so aggravating. Yhink of all the people who watch that show and are now completely misinformed. :( One step forward, two steps back. He should get his facts straight before opening his mouth.

jd11365
08-23-2003, 08:47 PM
Yeah, but he should have an actual corrections part of the website to clear up misinformation... This is what the actual posting...

http://www.drphil.com/advice/advice.jhtml?contentId=par_breastfeed.xml&section=Parenting&subsection=Infants/Toddlers

What an idiot! ...How's that workin' for ya Phil?

MartiesMom2B
08-23-2003, 11:05 PM
Dr. Phil is an idiot. What annoys me is that he wasn't a family therapist. His job was to help lawyers pick out jurors. Did anyone see the episode where he said that co-sleeping is dangerous. It doesn't suprise me that he was incorrect on the AAP's position.

BTW, my neighbor's son wanted to try breastmilk after he weaned. Instead of letting him nurse, she expressed milk in a cup and gave it to him. He thought it tasted gross and never asked again.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

nigele
08-24-2003, 02:07 PM
Wow - that's an interesting approach your neighbor took with her soon. I'll have to remember that one!

Torey
08-24-2003, 09:35 PM
I think you guys are being way too hard on him. I saw the episode too, and realized immediately that he was misquoting the weaning age, but he also said that many people BF for 2 or more years and that was totally cool. I think most BF'ding moms are informed enough to know that the age is at least 1 year (if not more). As a BF'ding mom myself, I wasn't offended or bothered that he had gotten his fact wrong. Bottomline, the segment was not about the number of years you BF, it was about a 7 year old, who had been weaned for over 2 years, deciding at age 5 (when her mom had a new baby) that she wanted to BF again so she could be just like the baby. The mom retaught her to BF (which proves that she had been weaned for a while) and then the daughter wanted to keep it up for 2 more years, and the second oldest child starts imitating the oldest and BF'ding too (after being weaned herself). So now the mother is feeding 3 children, 2 of whom really don't need it but are just wanting mommy to cuddle them like the baby. Just my 2 cents.

lisams
08-24-2003, 11:36 PM
I'm glad you knew he was misquoting the AAP. However, there are many people out there who probably didn't. I think the genereal public, whether breastfeeding or not, needs to know that BFing past a year is not only acceptable, but encouraged.

Lisa