PDA

View Full Version : Ellen is a Squirmy Worm!

farsk
08-24-2003, 10:13 AM
Hello Everyone!

Near the end of her feeding session on each breast, Ellen gets an attack of the squirmy worms...with my nipple still in her mouth. OUCH!!!! The problem is exacerbated if she is not swaddled, but when she is, she still like to arch her back, etc.

Any suggestions on how to get the sqirmy worms out?

Thanks!
-Shannon
Mom to Ellen
7/23/2003

stillplayswithbarbies
08-24-2003, 11:11 AM
Nope, it's typical. If she is pulling back on your nipple, that is her way of increasing your milk supply. It's natural and normal.

If she is pulling back so far that it hurts, try watching for it and moving forward with her a little.

Wait until she is older and starts doing acrobatics. :) The other night she started out laying beside me as usual, then tried laying on her stomach with her head turned, then on her back, and finally pushed off with her feet so she was perpendicular to me. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

mharling
08-25-2003, 01:42 AM
Is the same true for pulling completely off and immediately latching on again? Ds did this A LOT today. Repeatedly. Ouch.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

houseof3boys
08-25-2003, 08:56 AM
Since I seem to have a never ending case of thrush, one of the "symptoms" is repeated pulling on and off the breast. Hope yours was just random pulling off! Ouch is right Mary.

momma_boo
08-25-2003, 11:24 AM
>Is the same true for pulling completely off and immediately
>latching on again? Ds did this A LOT today. Repeatedly.
>Ouch.
>
>Mary & Lane 4/6/03
>http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 -
>New 6/18

My DD has been doing that lately also. She eats for a few minutes and then when the initial hunger is satisfied, she gets quite distracted and starts looking around or turning her head with every sound.

Torey
08-25-2003, 04:55 PM
DD used to do this a lot too, but I discovered it usually meant that she had a burp in there that needed to get out, hence the back arching and general wiggling. If I stopped her, placed her upright and burped her, she would usually go back to nursing normally. Sometimes she decided that she was done then. But she really did seem to always have a burp whenever she started the intense wiggling.

erzzie
08-26-2003, 06:46 PM
My daughter is doing this too and it's so aggravating! She'll eat enough to satisfy her initial hunger, then pull off, grin at me, latch back on, suck twice, then grin and let go again! ARGH. She's so cute smiling at me, but I can't handle the constant re-latching. So usually I just call it quits and let her tell me when she's hungry enough to nurse again.

I'm really hoping this is a stage we'll move through :)

Melinda