PDA

View Full Version : How To Label Stored Breastmilk?

bathbody
08-24-2003, 10:40 AM
I'm due in a few short days and have a breastpump ready for whenever I need it down the road. I was just wondering what kind of labels to use when it's stored in the freezer or frig.
Do I just use sticky labels from an office supply store? Masking tape? Are there special breastmilk labels?

stillplayswithbarbies
08-24-2003, 10:49 AM
It depends on what you are storing it in. If you are storing it directly in the bottles, you can get a grease pencil. It writes directly on the bottle, but rubs off with a dry paper towel so you can reuse the bottle.

If you are storing in storage bags, you can write directly on them with a sharpie.

Or you could get stick on labels and just peel them off to reuse them.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

bathbody
08-24-2003, 11:40 AM
>
>Or you could get stick on labels and just peel them off to
>reuse them.

So I can reuse the bags?

Momof3Labs
08-24-2003, 11:45 AM
Not really, I think that Karen is referring to reusing the bottles.

I label bottles in the fridge with scotch tape, and bags in the freezer with a permanent marker. We don't try to reuse bags - I'd be too worried about getting them clean enough so that the next batch doesn't spoil.

stillplayswithbarbies
08-24-2003, 03:13 PM
Oh sorry! I meant reuse the labels on the bottles, not the bags. I don't think you could get the bags clean to reuse then. Besides that , putting the nipple collar on them puts holes in the bags.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

lizajane
08-24-2003, 08:06 PM
i use avent labels. they peel off easily.

C99
08-24-2003, 09:44 PM
I use Avery mailing labels and stick them on my Gerber breastmilk storage bags. I just write the date and how many onces I've pumped, since the storage bags aren't particularly good measures.

mharling
08-24-2003, 10:16 PM
I use the Gerber bags and write on them with a Sharpie. Like Caroline, I don't like the measurements on the bags either. I just circle the amount when I'm labeling.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

heidi_timms
08-24-2003, 11:05 PM
It's hard to get the measured amounts correct using the bag's measurements. I pump into the Medela bottles and use that measurement for how many ounces, then pour it into the bag. I use Gerber bags and use a sharpie pen. I circle the amount on the bag.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

jal
08-25-2003, 04:37 PM
We got a dry-erase board and used a permanent marker to number our bottles (sterilizing the bottles required we rewrite the numbers from time-to-time). We would then record the bottle number, date/time, and location (freezer/fridge), and how many ounces were in the bottle.

When we started using disposable bags to freeze EBM (otherwise, you run out of bottles in a hurry when you use them to freeze EBM), we wrote a unique number on the bag and again used the dry-erase board to record the vital info.