PDA

View Full Version : Pump in Style Advanced

mum1day
08-27-2003, 09:47 AM
A local lactation consultant is having great prices on the Medela PIS and has the Advanced as well. I'm torn and don't know if I should get the PIS or the Advanced. The Advanced seems like the best choice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

stillplayswithbarbies
08-27-2003, 12:36 PM
what does the advanced have that the regular does not?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

mum1day
08-27-2003, 01:07 PM
From their website:

The only electric retail pump with breakthrough Natural Expression pumping for maximum milk flow. First researched and developed for hospital breastpumps, Natural Expression is an advanced pumping pattern that mimics a baby’s nursing rhythm by pumping in two distinct modes.

Let-down mode: Simulates your baby’s initial rapid suckling to initiate faster milk flow.
Expression mode: Simulates your baby’s slower, deeper suckling for maximum milk flow in less time.

• Feels more like your baby than any other retail pump

• One-touch ‘let-down’ button designed for faster milk flow

• Customized pumping with adjustable speed and vacuum control

• Stylish bag contains everything you need to pump

• Battery Pak for pumping anywhere, anytime

stillplayswithbarbies
08-27-2003, 01:59 PM
I'm into gadgets and technology, so I might be tempted to get the new one if the price is similar. But on the other hand I am into saving money and I'll bet the old style will be on clearance all over the internet.

You can do the same thing with the controls on the old one. Just set the speed all the way on fast and the suction on low to stimulate a letdown, and then set the speed on low and the suction on high after the letdown happens. So I don't see anything that great about the new style, just from reading their description.

I do exactly that with my Ameda Purely Yours. (which is even cheaper than the PIS)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

COElizabeth
08-27-2003, 02:53 PM
It sounds nice, but I think I would go with the tried-and-true older version unless you hear from people that it really does work. I bought the Whittlestone because it sounded like a great new technology, and I know it works well for some people, but I find that the suction isn't as strong as I need it to be, and I know several others have had the same experience. There's a lot to be said for the older version you know has been tested by so many women!

Elizabeth

houseof3boys
08-27-2003, 05:45 PM
I agree with Elizabeth and get tried and true! I love my PIS traveller and you can do the same thing by adjusting the speed and suction settings. Maybe someone on the boards has the Advanced and they can give you their opinion on it since it is so new to the market.

heidi_timms
08-27-2003, 06:02 PM
Yes, I think that I would be scared to get something new as well since pump companies don't seem that eager to take back pumping products if they don't work. I know several people contacted Whittlestone after it didn't work and basically if there wasn't anything mechanically wrong, then it was too bad!

I love my PIS. I got mine at www.fjroberts.com for 169.99 plus $18 shipping. It was a great deal and I am very happy with it!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

mum1day
08-28-2003, 08:18 AM
Thank you everyone!

I'll stick to the tried and true PIS.

Heidi-AWESOME referral--THANK YOU SO MUCH! I'm going to get it from that site. It will save me $20!

heidi_timms
08-28-2003, 02:09 PM
Your welcome, they gave me great service as well. My pump came within 5-7 days from ordering it. Also, if you think that you will need the car charger/plug-in, you can order that without paying additional shipping.
~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03