PDA

View Full Version : Just bought First Meals by Annabel Karmel...

KimberleyDawn
08-29-2003, 09:15 PM
and I'm very excited to try some of the recipes! After reading the responses to my other post I realized that I'm limiting William's foods to stictly what is offered in a jar (pretty boring). Sooo according to this book I can take the big step and start offering quite a variety of foods that I would never have thought of. Here are some of the recipe suggestions:
1) egg yolk puree
2) papaya (also lists tons of other fruit suggestions) and cottage cheese (mashed to desired consistency)
3) potato, leek and pea puree
4) butternut squash and apple puree
5) lentil and vegetable puree
6) trio of root vegetables (a puree of carrots, potato and parsnips)
The recipe suggestions go on and on and these are only the suggestions for 6-9 months.
One thing that I am still wondering about is when do you offer blueberries, strawberries and raspberries?
Kim

jojo2324
08-29-2003, 09:31 PM
I have been giving Gannon blueberries for a few months now, but I believe I've heard to wait at least a year for strawberries and raspberries. Is it something to do with the seeds?

calebsmama03
08-29-2003, 10:50 PM
It's due to allergies - all berries have a HIGH allergy potential, so I believe the recommendation is to wait at least a year.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

KimberleyDawn
08-29-2003, 11:03 PM
Okay, so we'll stay away from berries until a year. I find it upsetting that the baby food companies have these foods labeled as 6 months and up foods.
-blueberry puree
-strawberry puree
-strawberry and banana puree
or strawberry and apple puree...
Thanks,
Kim

emilyf
08-30-2003, 09:17 AM
We don't have any allergies in our family, so I've been pretty laid back about this, but I started giving ds berries when he was 7-8 mos or so with no problems. You might want to ask your ped.
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

Torey
08-30-2003, 05:40 PM
When you do give your baby berries, consider getting organic. Strawberries cause lots of allergic reactions due to their high pesticide content. I was never allergic to them before but broke out in horrible hives after eating a bowl of them a year ago. You are so lucky that your baby wants to eat food. DD is already 8 months and despite my numerous attempts she hates baby food. I had been buying Earth's Best because it supposedly tastes better, but maybe I'll just try making some. I have the Super Baby Food book (but I don't really like it) and Mommy Made and Daddy Too (which seems more realistic).