PDA

View Full Version : Will be starting solids soon. Any words of wisdom?

etwahl
08-30-2003, 10:22 PM
Rachel has been wonderfully helpful answering my multitude of questions (as usual!) She had suggested not starting with the cereals because they can be constipating, but when I saw the ped he brought up a good point. Since Lauren's norm is pretty much diarrhea consistency, maybe the rice cereal's constipating effects would "even her out"...

Anyway, bought a box today (gerber, is there anything better?) i just bought the box i saw in the store.

Any other words of wisdom? Any suggestions as to tools I need to have on hand? e.g. other than spoon, bowl, bibs I assume, etc.?

Must mention am not looking forward to solids. Seems daunting to me, although rachel has advised it gets easier and less stressful (and can be lots of fun). I think the ease of breastfeeding is so great that the starting of solids seems like work. Not to mention all the allergy problems I've had with her up 'til now. Am thinking it's probably a bit of nerves as to "what's going to happen with her diaper next..."

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

COElizabeth
08-30-2003, 11:15 PM
I'm another one who looked forward to solids making my baby's poop a bit firmer, and they did help. We started with rice cereal, and we didn't have any problems with constipation until James started eating a lot more solids around 9 months or so. I used the Earth's Best cereals, and they are whole grain, so they might be less constipating than the Gerber, but I don't know. I sort of dreaded starting solids, too, but there are some aspects that are fun. Definitely get photos or movies of the first attempt!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

bnme
08-31-2003, 08:18 AM
I started with gerber barley and honestly didn't notice much of a change in the diaper at first. My DS does usually gets 'backed up' for a day anytime he gets something new. Good luck and just take it slow and see how it is working for you!

egoldber
08-31-2003, 08:58 AM
I am also one who hoped that starting solids would make Sarah more regular and poop LESS often, but it didn't really effect her except making her solids firmer. So that may be good for you!

I also prefer Earths Best cereals, but they can be hard to find in non-urban areas.

HTH,

Torey
08-31-2003, 02:11 PM
Just wanted to let you know that you can buy Earth's Best directly from their website. Also, if your daughter doesn't take to solids right away don't be discouraged. We have been trying for several months and haven't made much progress. At this point I think we are going to be going right into cooked soft foods since DD refuses to eat off of a spoon and hates baby food.

C99
08-31-2003, 09:07 PM
The only other thing I would add is just not to force it on her. Ellyn Satter's book has great information on this and I found it really worked with Nathaniel. I would follow the tips in her book to put the food on his lips so that he could taste if first and then decide if he wanted it. When I first started, he didn't and so we tried again for a few weeks until he did want it. I actually found solids to be pretty fun.

I agree w/ Beth that the Earth's Best cereals are good. I chose them b/c they are organic, but they actually don't taste "like baby food" as well.

Sharon
08-31-2003, 10:10 PM
Hi! We are in the same boat - My DS is 1 wk younger than your DD and we just started solids this week. First off,
I'm no expert as this is my fourth day with solids but here are a few things I figured out so far.

1) Give your baby a spoon a week or two before to play with. I found these travel spoons that had a really nice rubber handle so both ends are a great teether. DS practiced for a week getting both ends of the spoon in his mouth before I gave it a whirl. Now he knows what a spoon does and will accept it easier.

2) Strip down - DS is in a diaper and bib, me in my PJ's

3) Drop cloth - Easier on the hardwood floors.

4) Music - set the tone (this is more for me than DS)

4) Exercauser (poop machine) - If DS doesn't go all day, I put him in that and it works wonders at keeping him regular

5) Think of it as an activity you can discover together. I was all nervous until my friend pointed out that solids are FUN! That's right - fun. Watching your baby paint for the first time will be fun, playing in the rain will be fun and giving your baby food should be fun. Once you look at it like that and not like you HAVE to get any food in takes a lot of pressure off. After all, right now it's all about experiencing things so don't sweat it.

6) Order - shmorder, everyone has a million theories. Go with what works for you. It will make the whole thing more relaxing

GOOD LUCK

cchavez
09-01-2003, 04:28 PM
Tammy,

I just wanted to wish you good luck with the solids. We are going to attempt to introduce solids to our son in the very near future b/c he seems to have so many signs that he is ready. I am also very nervous about it too. DS was EXTREMELY fussy his first 3 months and my personality is not exactly laid back so it kind of stresses me out too. Not the actual feeding part per se (I am a speech therapist so I have done some therapeutic feeding with kids) but the idea of introducing her to so many new foods and textures. It is amazing and daunting to think these little guys start out on liquid and move up to table food in less than a year!

Btw, I got the book, "Super Baby Foods" and it has some good tips.

Anyway, good luck!