PDA

View Full Version : Avent variable flow nipples - anyone use? thoughts?

emmasmama
09-01-2003, 06:11 AM
DD got frustrated with the #1 nipples about a month ago and coincidentally, at the same time, I picked up a few more pkgs of Avent 9oz bottles. To my surprise, they came with #2 nipples instead of #1 (I hadn't really looked at the pkg bec I'd assumed they always came with #1). I tried these out on her and the feedings got much better.

I wanted to get more of these so I would have as many nipples as bottles, but they were out of the #2's when I was at the store. I decided to grab the variable flow since they work up from #2 size to #4 size depending how you turn the nipple (I figured this might be good later if we wanted to put cereal in the bottle when she starts to move to solids?).

Has anyone used these successfully? Any opinions? I haven't tried them out yet - they're still in the dishwasher being sanitized.

Momof3Labs
09-01-2003, 08:56 AM
I haven't used these, but wanted to let you know that it is NOT recommended to put cereal in the bottle because of the choking hazard.

emmasmama
09-01-2003, 12:07 PM
Oh, ok, thanks! I didn't know that!

emmasmama
09-03-2003, 02:29 PM
Okay, I'm replying to myself, but thought this might be of interest to someone... I tried the variable flow nipples and at first thought they were fine... then the 12:30 feeding was a disaster, complete with formula all over my shirt... I'm not sure if it's just coming out too fast or what, but it was just leaking out of the sides of her mouth like crazy and she was getting really frustrated and started screaming after a couple of tries.

Put the #2 nipple back on the bottle, and I'm not saying the feeding went smoothly from there, but at least she ate, and no more leaking all over herself and me!

deborah_r
09-03-2003, 03:02 PM
I bought some of the variable flows. They did not come with instructions and I did not really understand how you get the varying flows (can't say I tried very hard...)

After I bought them, I found out for a BF baby I didn't need to adjust the nipple size, so we went back to a 1 and started warming the milk more and he takes the bottle fine now.

Sorry I can't be more help.

KMommie
09-04-2003, 12:08 PM
That's interesting that you got #2 nipples with the 9 oz bottles. We always get #1's with ours! Currently, at 4 1/2 months DD's still on the #1's. I bought the variable flows thinking that we could save money by not buying a bunch of #2's and then again #3's and so on. We tried it out last month, and had the same experience you did---formula everywhere! It was such a mess---and DD was still hungry, I think more went down her chin than into her mouth. We shelved them and I relegated myself to 30+ minute feedings.

However, the variable flows have been a blessing this week. Long story---but basically, she's teething and has a viral illness that made her mouth very sore. DD was refusing the bottle because it hurt too much to suck. After several trial and errors of different things to get some formula in her, we found the variable flows allow her to just bite down on the nipple and she gets a nice little squirt of formula that she can swallow. Or she can just leave the nipple in her mouth and gravity does flow the formula in at a fairly fast rate. Not the intended use by Avent---but it's keeping DD hydrated.

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

Marisa6826
09-04-2003, 12:22 PM
As somebody else pointed out, DEFINITELY don't put cereal in the bottle.

The 9 oz. bottles used to come with size 1 nipples, which ticked me off to no end. Then I ran to the store for a friend to pick some up for her newborn and lo and behold - size 2!! Avent finally smartened up! Of course I already HAVE 17 9 oz. bottles, so I don't think we need anymore! :)

As far as the variable flow nips go, I haven't used them myself. The way they work is that you have to align the flow number ( look closely and you will see them at the base of the nipple) on the nipple with the baby's nose. That way the babe will get the appropriate flow speed.

Hope that's clear.

Make sure that you assemble the nipple and collar when they're still wet and that you haven't tightened the collar too much. That should help with the leaking.

Good luck!

-m