PDA

View Full Version : Problems nursing with teeth

Jenmv
09-01-2003, 08:04 AM
I know a lot of you have posted about biting but that is not the problem I am having. My problem is that I can feel her teeth putting pressure on me the WHOLE time she is nursing. It started with her bottom teeth and now that her top teeth are in the pain is getting unbareable. It feels like I'm in a little vice grip made of pins and needles. I've checked out plenty of books and none of them seem to really address this problem. I've always had problems with her latch from the very beginning and numerous lactaion consultants were never able to help much other than to say it will get better with time. It did after the first three months, but since her teeth aren't going away I'm starting to wonder if our nursing days are over. I'll miss nursing, but I just can't take the constant pain anymore. Has anyone else had this problem?

nigele
09-01-2003, 09:59 AM
Hi Jen,

I have had the same problem! I asked about it at a La Leche League meeting and even the two leaders didn't know what to say. There was one Mom there who had the same experience and she said a lactation consultant told her that her baby could not find a comfortable way to nurse now that he had teeth. The LC suggested she nurse him on all fours for a while so that he could adjust his latch and it worked for them eventually. I never did try it but (believe it or not) I just got used to having his little fangs sinking into me while he nursed. At first it was excruciating but I think I may have toughened up! Maybe I developed calluses, I don't know. ;-) After he nurses there are two deep little indents in my nipple where he sinks in his top two teeth. For some reason, it no longer hurts.

Good luck and I hope you are able to resolve this.

lisams
09-01-2003, 10:34 AM
I had the same problem, and it did go away. I think I just got used to it and the skin maybe toughened up or something also. There are always those little fang indentions when she latches off so I know they're still putting pressure there. It took about two weeks and then I actually forgot about the pain - I wasn't feeling it anymore. I hope things get better for you.

Lisa

Jenmv
09-01-2003, 10:51 AM
Nursing on all fours!! Are you kidding me? I don't think I'll be trying that, but it helps to know others have had this problem. I feel bad that I may be shortchanging her nursing sessions because sometimes I just have to end them to stop the pain. DD has always been one to do a lot of non-nutritive nursing. She never took to a pacifier. I guess I'll try to hang in there for another couple of weeks and pray for numbness. :-)

Thanks

nigele
09-01-2003, 12:56 PM
I know!!! I already feel like a cow, I don't need to look like one! Hee, hee. Best of luck and don't feel bad about shortchanging your baby. I know how bad it hurts so noone can blame you!

peanut4us
09-01-2003, 03:50 PM
Have you thought of taking a dose of ibuprofen before you nurse for a couple of days? About 30 minutes before. I had to do that last week because when she bit me, she actually broke the skin ;( ouch!