PDA

View Full Version : Best jarred baby food?

etwahl
09-01-2003, 11:54 AM
Went to the store here and they DON'T have Earth's Best cereals, so I may order online. They did have Beech Nut. Anyone heard of that?

What about jarred food? For those times when I don't make my own. What brand is best for that?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

peanut4us
09-01-2003, 03:51 PM
We're really happy with Heinz. We bought Gerber once... I tasted it and refused to give it to her.

egoldber
09-01-2003, 05:43 PM
I had a similar experience with regular Gerber, although their "Tender Harvest" organic line isn't so bad.

Also, remember that there is no need to feed baby food for things like applesauce. Regular adult applesauce (the unsweetened varieties) are just fine.

HTH,

pritchettzoo
09-01-2003, 05:56 PM
The Baby Bargains book gave Beech Nut a B+, and that was because they are hard to find. They recommended using their website (www.beechnut.com) for coupons and rebates. (I just read this chapter a couple of days ago and remembered reading something about them...HTH & not repeat info you already knew!)

Anna
#1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

Momof3Labs
09-01-2003, 08:49 PM
We use Heinz, too, for jarred food and cereal. We've been happy with it, and it isn't too expensive either. Earth's Best is good, but has fewer varieties and costs quite a bit more at our grocery store.

nofeea
09-01-2003, 09:00 PM
My DD has done very well with Beech Nut (although she currently seems to be on a baby food strike ;) ) We've used both the cereals and the jars and although I haven't tasted the cereal, the vegetables that I tasted were pretty good. They have no additives (except "water necessary for preparation") and I vaguely recall that they even won some baby food taste award. DD loved the veggies (more orange than green) but not the fruits (though I think that was just her personal taste!) HTH! :)

malie
09-02-2003, 06:37 PM
Tammy,
If you are going to buy Beech Nut make sure you register at their site so you can get some coupons

brubeck
09-02-2003, 09:14 PM
We use Earth's Best and Gerber's Tender Harvest. Both kids loved them!

For applesauce w use Treetop Natural Applesauce.

Andrea S
09-03-2003, 07:04 AM
We used Beech nut when we were visiting my family and it was fine. Andrew did not seem to notice a difference. If you really want to use Earth's Best try health food store if you have any around you. I found a huge selection in a store near us.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

tbdw425
09-03-2003, 07:47 AM
We used both earth's best and beechnut. I found the greatest variety of of Earth's Best at Health Food Stores, Fairway, and Fresh Direct (both in NYC). In fact, I found Earth's Best to be least expensive option, both Beechnut and Gerber are more expensive in the grocery store than Earth's Best. Also had good luck with both the Beechnut jarred food and cereal. I like their cereal better than Gerber.

AndrewsMommy
09-03-2003, 08:15 AM
I have a hard time finding Beechnut. They have it at one store near me, but the selection isn't very good. I've just been using Gerber. So far, so good. I've read good things about Beechnut. I'd love to try it.

Tina
Proud Mom to Andrew 3/03

JustMare
09-03-2003, 02:57 PM
I think alot of these brands are regional. I've never seen Heinz baby food anywhere. Beechnut is very very popular here in NYC as well as Gerber, Gerber Tender Harvest and Earth's Best.

etwahl
09-03-2003, 03:13 PM
No Earth's best anywhere around here (small community). Would it be worth it for me to order Earth's Best online and pay shipping and handling, or should i just try the beech nut? Is there a signficant value of going with Earth's Best for an allergic baby in particular?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

bnme
09-04-2003, 05:43 AM
Just a thought, but if there isn't a difference in terms of the allergies, it may be a waste to order on-line. You would probably end up order large quantities and then you may be stuck with something your baby doesn't eat. Can you get the Tender Harvest? I buy that for my DS and I think they are all pretty tasty (I don't give meats or pastas, I think they are gross!). The selection is a little limited, but they are good for starters.

I buy gerber fruits in the new plastic containers and think they are just as tasty. I buy the pears and many of the fruit blends (all fruit/no fillers). I have tried Beech Nut fruits and they are fine too. Honestly I don't think there is much of a taste difference with the fruits. The big difference is the variety once you get past stage one (for insatnce some of my DS favorites are Banna with Apple & Pear by Gerber, Pears & Blueberry by TenderHarvest, and Cinnamon Raison Pears with Apples by Beech Nut)

stillplayswithbarbies
09-04-2003, 09:40 AM
Is there a health food store there or nearby? They usually carry Earth's Best or other organic brands.

I used Earths Best 12 years ago with my son. I would not use anything else, it just tastes much better, and I like that it is organic.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

nofeea
09-04-2003, 01:22 PM
I say go for the Beech Nut. If you're not sure just try a couple of jars to start. What do you have to lose? (And my DD really did like them!) True, they're not organic, so if you're a stickler for eating organic foods only, I guess this will bother you, but if you just want regular old tasty fruits and veggies...try them! (They have no fillers, artificial colors or flavors and accordng to BB "the company claims to have stringent pesticide standards." They even pass the Kosher test!) And, no, I don't work for the company ;), I was just happy with their food!