PDA

View Full Version : Is is ok to use both Avent and Playtex nurser?

713abc
09-01-2003, 05:49 PM
I have a few Playtex nurser bottles and several Avent bottles. Do you think it is ok to interchange them throughout the day? I think we need to choose just one type of bottle, but DH thinks we should use all the bottles we have so we don't have to buy any more.

We also have Avent #1 and #2 flow nipples - do you think we need to be consistent and use just one flow, or will DS not notice (or care) if we use both kinds??

TIA for your advice! (Believe it or not, DH actually suggested I post these questions here to help us gain some second opinions on the matter!).

Mom to Max, 5/28/03

Momof3Labs
09-01-2003, 08:48 PM
Is your baby bf'd and taking an occasional bottle, taking bottles daily at day care, or 100% bottle fed?

If he is taking an occasional bottle, I would be consistent and use just one type (and one nipple flow). If he is taking bottles daily or 100%, then you can try using both types and see if he takes them. If he does, then you can use them all. But if he shows a strong preference, you might decide to use just one type.

With the Avent nipples, if your baby is at all bf'd, I would stick with the newborn nipples so that he has an easier time moving between breast and bottle (Colin still uses newborn nipples at 11 months). If he is not bf'd, then you probably could use both types. Use the faster flow when he wants to eat and get back to playing, and the slower flow when he wants to snuggle and take his time eating. Or play around and see what works for you.

So, the bottom line, IMO, is that it isn't yours or your husband's decision - it is your baby's decision that really matters!

KMommie
09-02-2003, 06:06 PM
It's so funny that you're using the exact same two bottles that we use. :) DD is strictly formula fed, so we don't have to worry about any nipple confusion. We started out with Avent then added Playtex when I decided I wanted disposable liners, for vacations, long trips. We used both on a daily basis for a while. DD seemed to be fine using either one. She didn't make a fuss or anything. She is still only using the newborn #1 nipples.

HTH,
Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

tbdw425
09-03-2003, 07:51 AM
If your baby will take more than one kind of nipple I think it is a great thing. I started out nursing and had horrible production problems, so I had to resort to bottle supplementation (and honestly most of my feeding) days after my son was born. In the process I tried many nipples including Advent and I believe a playtex nipple, whcih I used on a Medela bottle. The punch line is depending on the day, for the first few months, my son seemed to go back and forth as to which he liked better. Ultimately, we became an Advent only house, more so because I liked the feel of the actual bottle.