PDA

View Full Version : SIDS and stomach sleeping

lfp2n
09-04-2003, 03:50 PM
I'm not sure if this really fits this forum, but last weekend my DD learnt to roll onto her stomach (she can't roll back to her back yet) now she absolutely refuses to sleep on her back, even when I've tried to flip her, she immediately goes back over on her stomach. This has me really worried because of SIDS and I'm up all night checking whether shes breathing. She's 5 months, is it OK to sleep on your stomach now, I don't think a sleep positioner would help she's pretty strong and mobile and would probably be able to fight her way off. When did other peoples babies turn over, should I just let her choose her own way, she has always had colic and reflux (presently on Zantac) and I get the impression this is more comfy for her?

Lucy

Mum to Olivia 3/27/03

stillplayswithbarbies
09-04-2003, 06:27 PM
My daughter is 5 months and has been sleeping on her stomach for about a month now. She can roll both ways. It is my understanding that once they can roll, they are past the SIDS risk.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

MiaPia
09-04-2003, 06:41 PM
As long as there is nothing in the crib that she can roll into, I would think it would be ok - stuffed animals, fluffy blankies, etc. I have to admit that I started letting Harrison sleep on his stomach before he could even roll over, because that was the ONLY way he would sleep (he was EXTREMELY colicky). I just removed everything from the ccrib (we didn't even use bumpers). I even let Isabella nap on her tummy and she's only 7 weeks old - I guess I'm a bad mommy. *blush*

lizajane
09-04-2003, 07:02 PM
ds has been a tummy napper since 8 weeks. and i even let him nap with his lovey. i do take it out at night. but i don't worry about the roll over. sometimes i find him on his back in the am, sometimes on his tummy.

my ped said if he rolls, he is ok. also, the greatest risk of sids is from 2-4 months.

so try not to lose sleep from worry.

:)

Jen841
09-05-2003, 07:33 AM
Jude is doing this now too, and started at 12 weeks (13 now.) We monitor him closely, but have read not to flip him back (which we have given up on.) Often times he gets frustrated on his stomach and we then flip him over. He seems to prefer to be on his side.

A close friend's child died of SIDS this summer so we are SUPER cautious.

We check on him a lot and make sure we do lots of tummy time with him. I know it is scary, but that is all that is really safe to do.

Good luck!

daisymommy
09-05-2003, 09:51 AM
I've been told by my Ped. that once they can roll over, the risk of SIDS brought on my tummy sleeping is pretty slim. Also, the boxes of most sleep positioners say once a baby can roll over, to take it out. It can trap them in an awkward postion when they are trying to roll over, which would actually reduce the risk of SIDS. Once they can roll over in either direction (doesn't have to be both), their neck, arm, and back muscles are strong enough to turn their head away from the mattress if they weren't getting enough oxygen.

Also, yes--reflux babies generally do sleep better on their tummy. This position shuts of the sphincter valve in their stomach, greatly reducing the reflux action. Laying on their back opens it up. My DS Joshua (who had reflux until he was 10 months old), could only sleep well on his tummy. Whenever he was on his back he would projectile reflux!

flagger
09-05-2003, 03:24 PM
This is JMHO. She is fine to sleep on her stomach. Cocoa has been that way ever since she was two weeks old. That is how she preferred to sleep. The biggest misconception about SIDS is that it is caused by stomach sleeping. That is just not true in the slightest. Researchers still have no idea what causes SIDS.

Enjoy your night's sleep. In the months to come, you will find her in all sorts of crazy contortions. I really believe it does more harm than good to disrupt their sleep no matter how uncomfortable it may seem to us.

jayhjay
09-05-2003, 04:27 PM
I am far from an expert on this, but I used to work in an office that ran a SIDS education program. I didn't do the official education so I am definitely not an expert, but here is my sense of the collective wisdom from the SIDS educators.

FIrst, babies are most at risk of SIDS between 1 month and 1 year. Just because they can lift their heads, doesn't mean the risk is over. There are many factors influencing SIDS and no one is sure what the exact cause is. If having strong enought neck muscles were all it took, then no babies would have SIDS after a few months old.

But that being said, I think common wisdom from most people involved in SIDS education it ios not a good idea to keep turnign them over once they can roll on their own. Babies (and parents) tend to sleep better w/o the interruption and obviously there is no way you can watch them all night.

Some of best things to do to reduce the risk aside from back sleeping are avoid soft bedding, big bumpers, blankets and other things that can get in the way of their breathing. Don't keep the room too warm and don't overbundle and don't smoke.

As I said, I am not an expert so don't use my info as official word. For more from the SIDS research community, check out resources at the SIDS Alliance, American Academy of Pediatrics, or the NIH Back to Sleep Campaign.