PDA

View Full Version : I think I wore out my PIS!!!? SQUEEEEEEEEEK!

phirey
09-11-2003, 08:34 PM
DD is almost 10 mos, and I've been battling low supply for MONTHS. My pumping output has been 1.5-2 oz per pump (that's both sides added together) for about 3-4 months now. Fenugreek, Reglan, gallons of water, buckets full of oatmeal, co-sleeping, nursing vacations -- nothing. I finally had to give in and supplement starting last month, but I'm trying to give her at least some benefit of nursing. In order to keep any supply, I pump as often as I can at work and at least once at night, every night. Pumping in the morning after she's nursed usually yeilds nothing.

So last week I noticed an awful rubbery sqeak coming from the round thingy on the pump itself. I disassembled the whole thing, cleaned it, etc but no better. In addition, the suction seems to be WAAAAY down. So now my meager pumpings yeild me just a few drops. I'm drying up as we speak! I'm being forced to switch to my 'backup" Avent Isis, which I love but takes me more than an hour to use.

Am I nuts to continue? DD could care less... Should I buy a new PIS -- maybe one of the Advanced (it woldn't be a COMPLETE waste of money, since I'll need a pump for future little ones...) Does anybody have experience with the PIS Advanced? Can I at least use all the bottles and extra horns I have for my current PIS?

Thanks in advance....

stillplayswithbarbies
09-11-2003, 09:08 PM
I would call Medela about the pump, it sounds like something is wrong with it. That could be your problem all along.

Have you replaced the valves? I don't know about the PIS but on my PY I replace them every few weeks, or sooner if one gets damaged. (like when hubby put them in the dishwasher! ugh!)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

phirey
09-12-2003, 05:46 AM
Actually, I have 6 sets of valves, so unless they're all equally worn, I doubt that's the problem. I'm getting another set today from the LC at our hospital, in case that helps.

And I called Medela and they pretty much told me they won't help me since the pump is over a year old (but only with 10 months usage). I was not the original purchaser, because my best friend had originally bought it (in May 2002) for use when she went back to work, but then started her own business to stay at home and never needed it.

I understand the policy, but it still smacked of poor customer service. I was tired and frustrated so I went off on how I'm in a position to influence many pregnant women's decisions on which pump to buy, etc. They weren't impressed and I doubt they'll take any more of my calls....

emmasmama
09-12-2003, 06:49 AM
Peggy, I was in a very similar situation to you, except I was never able to get more than an ounce at a pumping and DD refused to breastfeed, complicating matters, so I was pumping like a mad woman.

Anyway, my Lactation Consultant warned me that I could burn out the motor on my PIS because it's not designed to be used as much as I was using it (I was pumping ~11 times/day for the first two months), so instead I rented a hospital grade pump that could take the abuse.

I'm not sure that's what you want to hear and it may not be the problem, but what you're describing sounds like it could be the motor??

nitaghei
09-12-2003, 08:51 AM
How about renting a Lactina for a month or two? You'll be able to use all your bottles. And it'll give you time to figure out your best options.

Nita

emmasmama
09-12-2003, 09:17 AM
This is the model I rented and it worked great. It also wasn't as bad as I would've thought pricewise to rent it. I think I ended up spending about $60, but not sure about that.

alkagift
09-12-2003, 10:43 AM
Peggy,
RENT! I totally agree. My hospital will rent Lactinas for $25 a month and it would completely be worthwhile to see if your supply responded to the increased power. Perhaps your pump was always a bit weak!

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

heidi_timms
09-12-2003, 02:34 PM
I have also heard the most PISs last only through 2 babies. I would rent one to see if that works. If you decide to buy another PIS, the cheapest price that I've found is on www.fjroberts.com. They are $169.99 plus $18 shipping.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

emmasmama
09-12-2003, 03:33 PM
That is where I got my PIS. Had no trouble at all - arrived quickly and the price could not be beat!!!

I had also heard that about the PIS only lasting through 2 babies, which is why I believed the LC when she told me I could burn it out. Am hoping I have better luck with BF-ing baby #2 and still want to have a breast pump to use!