PDA

View Full Version : Fussiness when feeding...

Lori in NJ
09-12-2003, 04:25 PM
Gabriel is 5 weeks old today and I'm not sure what's going on... During nursing his new thing is that he pulls away and starts hitting me and kicking me. Okay, not TOO serious since he's less than 10 lbs but it was never like this until the last couple of days. Has anyone else had this experience?

I do try to burp him and take the breast away but then he FREAKS out and starts wailing!

Any input is WELCOME!!!

Lori

jd11365
09-12-2003, 08:13 PM
Kayla does this too. Sometimes it's if my letdown is too fast.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5/1/03

julierobin
09-13-2003, 09:46 AM
Hi Lori -- My son was born on 8/7/03 and I experience a similar problem sometimes. I also think it is when my milk lets down too fast ... It is as if it comes rushing into his mouth or something and he can't handle the speed. What I try to do is sit in a more upright position and get DS to sit in a more upright position, too. This helps the milk not flow so fast into his mouth and he gets a chance to swallow.

Good luck -- I know BF can be a challenge, especially for new moms like me.

Julie, Mommy to Ben 8/7/03

houseof3boys
09-13-2003, 11:31 AM
For us it was the fast letdown too when Ryan would hit and wail like that. Milk would squirt him in the face all of the time! It gets better though Lori as they adjust to your letdown. When I was really full, I would pump for 2 minutes so it wasn't so much milk for him in the beginning and that seemed to help.

Your breasts will adjust too as you continue nursing and the letdown adjusts accordingly!

Congrats on breastfeeding.

alkagift
09-13-2003, 12:00 PM
Lori,
I started having those troubles too at about the same time--it took me about 3 weeks to have things completely settle down. Someone on this board (Karen?) sent me this link and it really helped me understand and it helped me talk somewhat intelligently to the LC's:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03