PDA

View Full Version : Sterilizing bottles/nipples in dishwasher - thrush/yeast rash?

emmasmama
09-15-2003, 07:43 PM
Does anyone know if the dishwasher is enough to kill these nasties? Mine has an Anti-Bacterial cycle (it's a Kenmore ~2 yrs old), but I haven't been using it because I didn't think it was necessary. Now that we're battling the yeasties though, I want to be sure everything is as sanitary as possible. Do you think this anti-bacterial cycle will do it? Or should I boil the bottle nipples?

I guess it wouldn't hurt, but I don't want to go nuts over this either. The ped isn't even convinced that she has thrush, but gave me the Nystatin Oral in addition to the prescription for her bum, just in case. DD has had a yeast rash in her diaper area for the past month that refuses to go away... we are now on our 4th round of treatment.

I've already been adding vinegar to all the wash loads just to make sure I zap it there, but want to make sure I'm covered.

What do you think?

ncmommy
09-15-2003, 08:18 PM
We have not had any yeast problems...and our ped. also said it was fine to just run everything through the dishwasher. However, I stopped putting bottles & nipples in there because I noticed the nipples were starting to get discolored and the bottles seemed to have a residue on them at times...plus..I know dishwasher detergent is some pretty strong stuff - did you ever look at all the warnings on the box?? Yikes! Now I just handwash in hot soapy water. Although the ped said it really wasn't necessary, I used the microwave steam sterilizer from Avent for the first 4 months - it made me feel better anyway.

puglucy
09-16-2003, 01:44 PM
I think the dishwasher should be fine -- that's what I did when battling thrush. I'm also not always happy w/the cleanliness in the dishwasher, but overall it works, & you prob. don't need to sterilize per se. (sometimes I *do* use these microwave sterilizing bags that Medela makes though)

hth,

Lucy\
mama to Alex 3/18/03