PDA

View Full Version : Solids and bfing...what were your child's BM's like?

etwahl
09-18-2003, 06:43 PM
Sorry for the weird question (it seemed odd to use the word poop as a subject...) I'm just curious how your child's poop changed once you started introducing solids! The only reason I ask specifically about bfing, is because i wanted to compare to lauren's and see if she's normal compared to others!

Her poops have always been pretty watery, mucousy, etc. never really seedy, and would average 3-5 poops a day.

She just went 2.5 days without a poop, then pooped twice in one day. It was considerably thicker...about the consistency of mustard with the color of probably a brown mustard. the smell didn't really change, she's always been a little stinky.

I'm just curious how it changed for others? i have so far only had her on rice cereal.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Momof3Labs
09-18-2003, 07:53 PM
Sounds about right! The more solids become part of her diet, the more solid her poops will become.

heidi_timms
09-18-2003, 08:16 PM
We just started rice cereal as well a few weeks ago. My DD has gone a day without pooping two times. I started with a little bit of carrots at each feeding to help with constipation. It definitely helped. Her poop today was super thick and much stinkier than just BM poops. It was a light brown mustardy color.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

lizajane
09-18-2003, 09:53 PM
ds only goes once/week. so don't worry about the 2 days! and if she goes a few days between, you may end up with "peanut butter poop." nasty to clean up, but normal.

mharling
09-18-2003, 10:53 PM
I'll let you know when it happens! We started ds on rice cereal last Saturday and he hasn't had one yet. Pre-cereal, he averaged about once a week, so I'm not concerned. But, I'm very anxious (somehow I don't think that's the right word :P ) to see the first dipe.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32e1840e40d - New 9/8

cinrein
09-19-2003, 03:13 PM
Anna goes every other day or every 3 days. Sometimes she will go twice in one day. The poops turned darker in color, like Gulden's Mustard, and much stinkier. As we have added more cereal and fruits/veggies, the poop has changed to a peanut butter like consistency.

She MUCH gassier since we started solids. Wednesday I was in the store with her carrying her in the sling and was in rare form. They are so loud they sound like an adult and stink to high heaven. I'm sure everyone thought it was me.

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

chrissyhowie
09-19-2003, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I knew I had crossed some kind of new parent threshold when I found myself calling my DH into the room to stare at DD's poo one day. I was cracking up because there it was in her diaper, this lone tiny little turd that was solid and formed. It just looked so, well, grown-up :)!

And, yes, the smell "matures" too x(!

mharling
09-19-2003, 09:48 PM
Six days later, we had our first 'cereal dipe'. It was very similar to what you described in your original post.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32e1840e40d - New 9/8

kransden
09-20-2003, 06:17 AM
Sounds completely normal to me. It will also change colors depending on what she eats, orange, greenish etc.
FYI if your child doesn't poop for a couple of days, get ready for the mother lode so to speak of poo when it comes out. My dd is all over the board about pooping. 3 times in a day to once every 3 days.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

MartiesMom2B
09-21-2003, 07:11 PM
We let her taste and suck on cantelope before we tried cereal. 8 days later a yellow peanut buttery suprise was in her diaper for me. I've decided that every 7 -8 days Martie will be wearing a disposable liner, b/c I was really grossed out.

Martie has major stinky gas too. I feel like she's not my oh so innocent baby anymore, with this atrocious odor coming out of her. Tammy, are you experiencing anything like this?

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

sntm
09-23-2003, 02:57 PM
LOL!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

etwahl
09-23-2003, 04:48 PM
YEEESSSSS! She flat out STINKS! And most of them aren't loud, so I keep thinking "did you poop"? Before, I could ALWAYS hear her poop, and was able to change her right away. Now she seems more silent (but much more deadly!) She's a little stinker. If I just went by the sniff test alone, I'd think she had a poopy diaper all day long!!!

She's been mostly pooping now once every 3 days. The last time was a doozie. Evan was home for the weekend and I had to call him in for backup. He thought it was too advanced for him. First thing she did when I opened the diaper was stick her foot in it...so then I was trying to clean it off before she stuck it in her mouth (God forbid) and then since it had travelled a little further up the front than normal, she also got her hand in it. ACK!!! It was a juggling act. Not fun at all. I think I went through 27 wipes or so. I just kept wiping and wiping and wiping...finally the job was done. Yikes!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

MartiesMom2B
09-25-2003, 07:04 PM
Tammy:

Since she doesn't have her morning poo like she did when she was BFing alone, I think everything is gas. Yesterday while she was napping I checked on her and was wondering why she was so gassy. It turned out to be the biggest poo ever. I had to move the baby quilt out of the way (it hangs on a quilt rack next to changing table) b/c I was afraid it would get all over the place.

I know what you are going through!
Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03