PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I've been boiling to sterilize my pump accessories...

bigsis
09-20-2003, 01:03 AM
I use Medela PIS. I had boiled the parts too long and the yellow part won't come off the breastshields. According to the manual, it's very important that I separate these parts when I clean and sterilize. How true is this?

Also, I have been boiling the breastshields and other parts to sterilize them. Since I started doing that, there has been a white residue that I can't wash off at the bottom of the pot I use. In addition, I found white, powder-like residue on my bottles. Could it be the same from the pot's residue? Is it harmful? Tonight's the first time I noticed it. I may have given my baby her milk in other bottles with the same residue.

Please help. I'm worried and freaking out. First-time mom, can you tell? :) TIA!

Momof3Labs
09-20-2003, 09:36 AM
I find it pretty important to get the yellow pieces off of the breast shields to clean them properly. Can you break the yellow pieces off and just buy replacements?

Not sure about the powder-like residue, but it is normal for the tubing and bottles to get cloudy after boiling or running them through the dishwasher. I think that it is more likely that it is from your water than your pot - do you have hard water?

stillplayswithbarbies
09-20-2003, 01:01 PM
You only need to boil the parts before the first use. After that, just wash them in hot soapy water after each use.

(or if you are going to use it again in the same day just put the parts in the refrigerator between uses and wash once at the end of the day)

I got that white stuff when I boiled things too. I just washed them in hot soapy water after boiling to get rid of it. I think it is from hard water.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

jayhjay
09-20-2003, 10:15 PM
Medela sells extra parts (I think I got mine off their web site) so if you have no luck separating them, you should at least be able to get new ones.

mharling
09-20-2003, 10:18 PM
Medela's site also lets you locate an LC in your area. I think it's pretty common for these LC's to stock/sell some replacement parts.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32e1840e40d - New 9/8

bigsis
09-21-2003, 01:12 AM
Thanks for all your help. I did manage to separate the yellow part. I was about to order the part but didn't want to skip pumping at all. About the hard water residue (I do think that's what it is) I think I will just start using my PUR water system to clean the parts and bottles.

However, do you ladies think I should throw out all the EBM that I've had stored just in case they had the white residue? ***GASP*** Thanks again!

stillplayswithbarbies
09-21-2003, 10:02 AM
no! I wouldn't throw it out. Whatever it is came from the same water you drink and the same water baby will be drinking some day. Besides that, I think the residue will stick to the bottle and not get into the milk much, don't you think?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

skp
09-22-2003, 09:30 PM
I get that residue as well. I just wash or rinse after. Also, I find the quick clean microwave bags to be much easier than boiling and for some odd reason i don't get the residue with that. As far as taking off the yellow things - try running hot water and using a rubber glove to get a good grasp on it.

momma_boo
09-23-2003, 10:03 AM
I also got the residue when I boiled all the pieces the first time. (so it's not just you!) I thought I did something wrong, so I cleaned and boiled them again... same residue. I just made sure to clean all the parts well after boiling them.

In terms of the residue left on the pot, if you have a stainless steel pot, I'd suggest using "Barkeeper's Friend," it's a powder that cleans everything off of stainless steel.