PDA

View Full Version : Sterilizing bottles/pump parts-Medela Quick Clean bags?

marchmommy
09-21-2003, 08:44 PM
Hi ladies! I am still, even though baby is 6 months old, confused about how to clean the bottles and pump. I have been using these Medela Quick Clean Micro Steam Bags--but then I remembered reading that it's not good to put plastic in the microwave as it releases chemicals into food. So is it bad to use these mags to microwave bottles/pump parts? The last thing I want to do is have chemicals released into the milk! (I put the bottles/pump parts, empty, of course, into the bags but worry that it's still releasing chemicals into the bottles????...)

About boiling in general: how long do you have to boil the bottles in a pot with water so that they are sterilized? And how often should one boil the bottles/pump parts????

Thanks!

Momof3Labs
09-21-2003, 08:59 PM
By 6 months, I never boiled anything, pumping-related or other. Just a quick run through the dishwasher every week, and handwashing with hot soapy water in between.

stillplayswithbarbies
09-22-2003, 08:09 AM
Here is some information about the oft-repeated warning about plastics in the microwave.

http://www.snopes.com/toxins/plastic.htm

I'm personally not concerned about microwaving my pump parts. But on the other hand, I do not sterilize my parts except once before the first use. I just wash it in hot soapy water.

However, I am using the Medela bags at work, because we don't have hot water in our office kitchen or bathrooms. (believe it or not! and yes I have complained about that) I wash the parts in cold soapy water, and at the end of the week I use the Medela bags. I found that I had to wash them in soapy water first or they came out still greasy from the breastmilk even after sterilization.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

KGoes
09-22-2003, 03:03 PM
I use the Medela bags for sterilization because they are so darn convenient. One word of caution though. I tried to sterilize the tubing pursuant to the directions on the bag and ended up with a burnt and melted mess. I called Medela about it and they were not surprised. Apparently, this has happened to other people. They immediately sent replacement tubing, but this took several days. And I did not have any extra tubes. . . . I doubt there is any need to expand on how inconvenient that was. I have to say, the incident has cooled me a bit on the microwave sterilization route, and I will be confining that to work.
Kelley
DD born 7/30/03

hellokitty1
09-27-2003, 03:20 PM
Does anyone know if you canm use the Medela bags to clean the ISIS pump? If so, can you put all pieces in at one time and do you follow the standard 2 ounces of water for 3 minutes?