PDA

View Full Version : Symptoms of Dairy sensitivity/allergy in BFing baby?

alkagift
09-22-2003, 11:10 AM
My exclusively BD'd DS has had a cold for about 5 weeks now--nothing really serious, just runny nose, nasal congestion. It's been worse and it's been better, but it really doesn't go away completely. We've been to the ped and she's said that it's likely not anything other than new exposure to daycare (he started on Aug 11) and although she gave us a prescription for antibiotics after the second visit "to make us feel better." She said it may just be "allergies" but wasn't specific. We didn't give the antibiotics to him.

So, I took myself off dairy for the last two days just to see what would happen, but I haven't seen marked improvement--some though, so I want to really try. Unfortunately today he's getting two bottles from my freezer stash back when I was drinking milk, so I know that will set us back and I'll need to start over tomorrow. If your baby was dairy sensitive, what symptoms did he or she have? How quickly did he respond when you eliminated dairy?

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

kfcboston
09-22-2003, 12:14 PM
My BFed DS was dairy sensitive. We diagnosed it at 2 months of age. He was increasingly fussy, although that wasn't what really clued us in (after all, what IS fussiness in an 8 week old??) It was the green BMs. Increasingly green, becoming almost pine green, and evenutally spot bleeding. He responded immediately to my elimination diet, and I had to toss my frozen stash (nooooooooooooooo).

HTH (and isn't TMI!!)

marchmommy
09-22-2003, 01:38 PM
I think my baby was dairy sensitive. I suspected it at about 2 months, and my Dr suggested reducing dairy intake. He was very fussy, at times screaming and uncomfortable after feeding (even though he was hungry, and had always been a good feeder) and also had nasal congestion. Someone told me that it takes 2 weeks to eliminate dairy from your system. I noticed a rapid change--no more fussiness and screaming---in about a week. I am only starting to eat dairy myself now, and DS is 6 months old.....A tip: I drank soy milk instead of milk...Good luck!

mommyj
09-22-2003, 04:42 PM
I figured out DS was reacting to dairy when he was 3 or 4 weeks old. I'm actually slightly allergic to dairy products, but can have some (they just make my face and hands swell up). Anyway, I was drinking small amounts of milk and eating yogurt, but I quit because ds would get really bad gas, frequent hiccups, and he would get really fussy during feedings. I could see his stomach kind of bloat out and tense up.
I noticed a change as soon as I eliminated dairy from my diet. A few weeks after that, I spaced out and had a tea drink with milk in it and his symptoms came back right away and then went away a day later.
HTH.

houseof3boys
09-22-2003, 08:29 PM
Ryan is dairy sensitive too. I first realized that's what it was when I had a chocolate milkshake and he threw up several times. I kept watching what I ate and the correlation to his spit up/throw up/crankiness was all related to everytime I had dairy. We now use Lactaid milk and I try to limit cheese and yogurt to once a day.

Try it for a few more days and see if it makes a difference. I wouldn't worry about the freezer stash since there is no way you would now if that was frozen on a day (or the day before) you had dairy.