PDA

View Full Version : alternatives to Medela PIS?

lnvarma
09-23-2003, 12:16 PM
Are there any good electric pumps out there besides the Medela Pump In Style - it is just so expensive!

nitaghei
09-23-2003, 02:55 PM
The Ameda Purely Yours is somewhat cheaper, and recommended for use if you're working full time outside the home, and have to pump several times daily. Karen (stillplayswithbarbies) has one. I ended up renting a Lactina, which, given that I'm still pumping at 8 months, and probably will for several months more, has ended up being at least as expensive as a PIS. However, if you plan to pump for a shorter period of time (3-5 months), a rental might be a cheaper alternative as well.

HTH

Nita

cthuynh91
09-23-2003, 08:19 PM
I'd recommend the Purely Yours as well. If you are using it at home and don't need the bag and little accessories, just buy the plain set which is around $170 or so. I have the backpack which is the most expensive with all kinds of extras. In hindsight, I think I probably don't need most of the accessories or the backpack thing. The PY is also "self-contained" (I'm not sure if that's the right term but you can basically use an old one and not worry about contamination). Those seem to be pretty inexpensive on ebay. HTH.

Carina

stillplayswithbarbies
09-23-2003, 09:16 PM
THe Purely Yours by Ameda. You can get just the pump, I wish now I hadn't spent extra on the tote bag and cooler.

You can also buy it used and then buy new attachments for it. I found that the Ameda hand pumps are the same as the attachments, but the hand pump is cheaper than the Hygeni kit. So, buy a used pump, buy two new hand pumps (or two hygenikits) and you are good to go.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03