PDA

View Full Version : Poll--For all you pumping/working mommies out there.

peanut4us
09-26-2003, 03:47 PM
I've been wondering if DD really is so odd about her eating habits while I'm gone. So here's the poll:

How many ounces does your baby eat while you are at work? Please include your child's age and weight.

Sara's down to just 4-8 ounces the whole time I'm away. I was freaking out, but my supply seems to be increasing (woohoo) with all her night feeds. And I got to thinking that if she were sleeping through the night, and eating during the day, she'd be eating less than she is now.

So what are your experiences?

barbarhow
09-27-2003, 09:56 AM
Jack at 6 months-(today!!!!) Is at daycare about 9 1/2 hours 3 days a week. He drinks any where from 14 ounces to 20 ounces. It varies depending on whether I fed him on both sides when he got up in the morning, etc. On average I would say 16 ounces. He is now feeding once during the night-had been sleeping through the night.

Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

hellokitty1
09-27-2003, 03:05 PM
DD is 5 months old and weighs about 13lbs, 14 oz. She is at day care 9.5 hours a day, five days a week. She has three 4.25-ounce bottles while she is there. From what I've read she really should be drinking more but I added more in her bottles one day and she had leftovers in every one so I stopped. I nurse once before work, once after work and just before bed. Most of the time, DD doesn't usually wake up at night.

She hasn't had much weight gain the last month, only 2-3 ounces which worries me. And yesteray, for the first time, she drank her "extra" bottle at daycare. So I think I'm gonna go back to adding more milk in her bottle.

jmofarrill
09-27-2003, 03:21 PM
Anwyn takes between 6-8 oz. each day at dc. She is 4.5 months, around 14.5 lbs, and she's at dc 5 days a week for 8 hrs each day.

I pump more than she eats most days, so I always have some to freeze each week. The weekends are a bit miserable, though, because I'm engorged in the late afternoons/evenings. I've ended up pumping during the last few weekends b/c I've been so uncomfortable. I tried not pumping during the weekends, but then I didn't pump enough the following Monday and Tuesday. I consider my freezer stash my "insurance," so I don't want to use it to supplement if I really don't have a production problem.

stillplayswithbarbies
09-28-2003, 02:09 AM
Logan is 6 months old. I am gone from 7:30 AM to 6:30 PM three days a week. She eats from 18 to 22 ounces in three or four feedings.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

sntm
09-28-2003, 04:47 AM
jack is almost 4 months old and lately has been taking 14-18 oz a day at daycare 5 days a week. he usually nurses once or twice in the morning and 2 or 3 times in the evening before bed and often once in the middle of the night (though he occasionally sleeps through.)

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

cthuynh91
09-28-2003, 07:22 PM
Parker has been all over the board in terms of eating. He has never graduated beyond 5 oz every 4 hours. (And I think the 5 oz thing only happened a couple of times.) On a good day, he does 3 - 4 oz every four hours consistently throughout the day and night. On bad days, (and unfortunately, we had quite a few of those), he only takes 2 - 3 oz every four or five hours. I think there were a few days when he had maybe 4 oz for the entire nine hours I was at the office.

BTW, Parker is 4 month old and only weighs 13 lbs.

Carina

alkagift
10-01-2003, 01:19 PM
Shannon,
How much does Jack weigh?

Allison

sntm
10-01-2003, 02:42 PM
he hasn't been weighed in awhile (ped visit in 2 weeks) but i would guess 14-15 lbs.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

momma_boo
10-02-2003, 09:03 AM
Hi Joey,

My Sarah Anne is now 6 months old (born 3/25) and weighs 16 pounds, 6 ounces. We drop her off around 7:30 and pick up around 5:45. so she is at the daycare for 10 hours. I think she eats around 16 ounces during the day (3 feedings, usually). We're slowly starting to introduce solids.

I can't remember is your Sara is going to daycare or if she's being taken care of at home. If she's at daycare, perhaps she's still adjusting and is having too much fun watching everything going on? I think when DD is fed at daycare, they'll feed her in the kitchen if the other kids are in the living room, or in the living room if the kids are outside to minimize some of the distractions.

hellokitty1
10-08-2003, 07:55 AM
Carina-

Parker sounds a little like my DD. At 3.5 months she started day care drinking abour 4 ounces every 3-4 ounces. Based on the guidelines I've seen, she really should be taking in a little more for her weight/age but daycare hasn't really noticed a continual hunger with a 4 ounce bottle. I have increased it slightly. (She has EBM so I can't afford to put too much extra and have her waste it.) I would say I now out in about 4.25 ounces in 3 bottles which she drinks between 8-5. I will continue to add more until I start to see that she has leftovers.

How long has Parker been in daycare? It took Sydney awhile to get adjusted.

Jen841
10-08-2003, 08:28 AM
I think Jude's Daycare honeymoon is over, and I am panicing! He normally would drink 3-4 4oz bottles at daycare (7-5:30.) It was normally 3, so I could freeze 4oz a day since I was pumping 16 or so oz at work. Last week he consistently drank 4 bottles a day. All weekend and carrying into the week he is eatting like a PIG! Between picking him up and bedtime yesterday he drained 2 of my breasts and that has only happened 1-2 times b4 b/c I had pumped. At the height of my pumping, he was sleeping better and not eatting as much in the am. Now all he does is eat so pumping is not fruitful. I have been stealing from my precious freezer stash!

Yesterday at 4pm they gave him is 4 oz then for the FIRST TIME needed to give him formula at daycare. He drank 8 oz in a sitting. He has never drank more than 4 oz for dad or I.

3 weeks ago he was 14 lb 12 oz and 25 inches

nitaghei
10-08-2003, 08:32 AM
Joey,

Neel started daycare when he was 4 months old. He's in daycare 5 days a week, for about 8.5 hours. I go to nurse him at lunchtime.

For the first several weeks he would drink only 1-3 oz per day. I would make up 5 oz bottles, and have to dump the rest. ;(

Then he moved up to a peak of 12 oz a day in 2 bottles, plus the nursing session at about 6 months.

Now, at 9 months (barely), he averages anywhere from 5-10 oz a day from the 2 bottles, plus a brief nursing session at lunch. He is upto 3 solid meals a day now.

And we experienced the reverse cycling too - DS would make up at night. We went from 1 night feed to as many as 5 or more right after he started daycare. He's sick right now,and teething, and we're back to non-stop night nursing.

Nita

KGoes
10-09-2003, 08:10 AM
DD has been in day care for four really long and horrible days - sorry for the editorial fretful mother comment - but has been doing better each day. She is 10 weeks and in my don't-mess-with-me-because-my-child-has-started-daycare-and-you-need-to-remind-me-why-it-is-that-I-would-return-to-work mood, she has been logging days from 8:15 to 4:30 or so, but our days will get longer. I BF in the morning; she has 4 full ounces mid-morning; I BF at lunch; she has another 4 ounces in the afternoon; I BF when we get home and DH gives her a bottle before bed. At her last feeding, she takes anywhere from 2 to 6 ounces. On this schedule, she has been sleeping 7 hours at night. I am awaiting the regression. . . .
Kelley
DD born 7/30/03

calebsmama03
10-09-2003, 10:06 AM
I have been having a similar problem to you (so I guess opposite of the original post). My DS is 7 mos and has been with a sitter 3 days/week (7am - 4:30pm) since he was 4 months. I nurse at 6am and when we get home and before bed those days. The sitter has completely blown through my HUGE freezer stash and I don't think there is any need for it. DS nurses for a long time when I let him, but only about 10-15 min of it is actual eating. I've told the sitter a many times that I think that he is not still hungry but just wanting to suck/cuddle after he finishes his bottle. I do single sided nursing and there is NO WAY he gets more than 5-6 ounces per feeding from me (probably much less), so why would he need 8 ounces from her? She is an older (my moms age) lady and a friend of the family doing me a favor so I don'e have to use a day care center so I feel a bit funny being too much of a stickler with her, but I refuse to let her give him formula. I only work 5 min from her house, so if it's ever an issue she can call me to come BF. My mom was in town a few weeks ago and watched him for me that week. I left 3 bottles with 5 1/2 to 6 oz EBM for her each day (same as the sitter). He had leftovers each day! When he finished the bottle if he was still wanting to suck she gave him a paci and cuddled him. I think my sitter (as much as I love her on most issues) doesn't cuddle him while he's feeding so he leaves "wanting more" which she interprets as hunger.

Anyway, no real advice here just wanted to vent and commiserate :)
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

vpalmer
10-09-2003, 01:23 PM
Eva is four months old and weighs about 15 pounds. She eats 3 - 5 ounce bottles of expressed milk at daycare. She is usually at daycare from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. She eats once before going to daycare as well.

Good luck,

Veronica
Mom to Eva born on 6-12-03

lfp2n
10-09-2003, 04:26 PM
My DD is 6 months old and about 15lb. She is in daycare from 9.30 til 5.30 but I usually take her out for an hour 12.30-1.30 and feed her.
In the afternoon they give her a bottle of EBM, we're up to 5oz which she usually just about finishes although she often leaves a bit. Otherwise she gets fed at 6-30am, 9am and 7-30 am. She dropped nighttime feeding for a few weeks but then got a cold and now she wakes and gets fed at around 4.30-5 am, although doesn't seem to take much at 7am- I hoping she'll drop the night one again soon!
I was worried as sometimes like yesterday I couldn't get away from work at lunch so I gave them 2 5oz bottles, and she drank 4oz from one, and 3oz from another- 7oz in 8 hours doesn't seem much at all!

Lucy