PDA

View Full Version : Moved onto carrots...

etwahl
09-28-2003, 03:39 PM
i've been planning to make her baby food all week - even bought the organic carrots. well i just found not enough time with evan gone, so decided it would have to wait for a little while and bought some jars of beech nut.

Couple questions, of the small jar, in the beginning did you usually feed the entire small jar? or just half?

and what can i expect in terms of her diaper with the carrots now?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

flagger
09-28-2003, 03:59 PM
You should expect orange poop.

One thing to consider trying is to spoon from the jar into a bowl and then you can always add more if she wants more. But if she doesn't want more then you can reseal the jar that has not been contaminated by her saliva by feeding directly from it.

jojo2324
09-28-2003, 06:12 PM
I did what Flagger did in the beginning. He would barely eat half of a jar sometimes, so I would put a bit in a small container, feed from that, and refrigerate the jar. And his poop was decidedly orange...And I think a bit more pungent? Can't remember...How the memory works! :D

billysmommy
09-28-2003, 06:37 PM
We just started carrots about 5 days ago and I am amazed at the smell of his poop, almost like a "real person" :)

cinrein
09-28-2003, 08:13 PM
It takes us 3 days to get through a jar. I usually only give Anna a couple of teaspoons. She gets fruit with her morning cereal and a veggie with her evening cereal.

To make things a little easier on myself, I buy the jar of a new food and make sure she likes it before I invest time and energy into making baby food.

We didn't experience orange diapers after carrots. Maybe because I didn't give her much?

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

KimberleyDawn
09-29-2003, 10:11 AM
Orange poop came once he started eating the whole jar and his poop has always smelled yucky!
I started William on a very small amount of food in a seperate bowl and constantly offered him more. Now at breakfast I offer 1/4 cup of fruit cereal, at lunch 1 jar of veggies and oat cereal and at supper 1 jar meat (cereal to thicken) and as much jarred fruit as he wants.
Also, during the day in his highchair I will offer him some grated cheese or bits of baby cookie...to work on his fine motor skills and it's fun.
Kim

heidi_timms
09-29-2003, 11:06 AM
I started with carrots too to unplug DD. The cereal was constipating her! We use about 1/4 or 1/3 of a jar at a feeding. I usually do some carrots first and some cereal afterwards. I usually wait a 1/2 an hour before nursing to reduce spit-up. I find that some gets digested and less comes back up.

Get out your Oxiclean, carrots get everywhere. I started feeding DD just in her diaper because the carrots even sneak under the bib!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

etwahl
09-29-2003, 03:40 PM
Just had our first carrot diaper.....WOW!!! You weren't kidding about the orange color. Forget the oxi for the clothes, what about her butt :) I thought it was stained orange permanently...

Unfortunately I didn't notice the poop right away and it leaked out the bottom of her diaper a little and got on her outfit, my outfit, and a blanket she was playing on...they're all soaking right now.

I think I didn't realize it as fast as usual because they have been stinking so bad lately that I know right away. This didn't smell anywhere close as bad as the cereal poops. Those were horrible. And also, she used to be a loud pooper. Now they're silent for some reason.

Anyway, at least she's broken me in. Orange poop :)

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

megsmom
09-29-2003, 04:59 PM
Wait till you try peas! :)

Jen
mom to Meghan 7/13/01
and #2 EDD 11/12/01

JMarie
09-29-2003, 05:59 PM
We've just recently gotten to eating the entire jar - he started at around 1/3 a jar but quickly moved to 1/2. We never have experienced the color-changing poops - he's just always been pretty yellowy-green. HTH!

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

KimberleyDawn
09-29-2003, 07:37 PM
Jennifer,
We are alone in our non-coloured baby poop club it seems (lol)! Stinky yes but coloured rarely!
Kim

newbelly2002
09-30-2003, 04:41 AM
Welcome to the world of carrots....but watch out for peaches!

Also, I will say that the biggest stains we had were not the butt or clothes, it was the poor kid's face. For some reason, he got carrots consistently around,in, and under his button nose. It was stained permanently orange for about 2 months no matter how thoroughly we washed.

Luckily, at 14 mths, his diet is a bit more diversified and not quite so...permanent. :)

Paula,
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

sunny2003
10-06-2003, 03:33 PM
Just have to say that we started dd on carrots - and after dh gave her a whole jar ("she kept opening her mouth for it!" he said), it did not agree with her! In the middle of changing an already poopy diaper, the carrot poo came out too! It looked like she was a play doh pumper (remember those?) with it all in one mass! now we are easing her more into it - perhaps carrots are not her thing!

Viv
Mommy to Kayley born on 4/28/03