PDA

View Full Version : Which Bottle Warmer? Which Bottle Sterilizer?

kels228
09-29-2003, 01:01 AM
They all seem to have some lousy reviews on Amazon/BRU's site...anyone have either of these that they really like? THANKS.

Kathleen\r\nDue 11/9/03

daisymommy
09-29-2003, 09:46 AM
You really don't need a seperate bottle sterilizer if you have a dishwasher. Just put everything in the top rack, and get soem of those little bottle parts baskets for the nipples, caps,a dn rings, and you're all set. However, if you don't think you will be running the dishwasher often enough for all your bottles to be clean when you need them, I would get the Avent Microwave Steam Sterilizer. We used it in the beginning when we weren't using very many bottles (it only holds 4) and it was absolutely great. You can also put your Avent Isis breast pump in it too (if you are using one).

As for a bottle warmer, once again there are other ways--soaking bottle in a mug of hot water, or being a rebel and using your micowave ;). But if you particulary want to use a bottle warmer, then get the First Years Quick Serve bottle warmer. I tried all of them, and it is the fastest, and actually gets your bottles the right temp. The Day and Night one was a joke, IMO. The Quick Serve warmer was a lifesaver in the middle of the night. I kept a mini lunch box size cooler with a couple bottles in it in my DS's nursery at night. I put a bottle in the warmer, changed his diaper, and when I was done, the bottle was done. No more tripping down two flights of stairs to my kitchen.

Want to know what works even faster than that? A mini crockpot. I got a nice white one for $10 at Target. Fill it half way with water, and keep it plugged in (there is no heat setting switch). A bottle standing in this water takes about 1 minute to warm up. Keep it on your kitchen counter and plop a bottle in whenever baby's hungry.
Good Luck!

amp
09-29-2003, 10:43 AM
Didn't use either. We wash our bottles in the every other day or so. We usually hand wash 2-3 bottles in warm/hot water by hand during the day and then they go into the dishwasher and we start with fresh ones.

Never used a bottle warmer. We just use water out of the tap.

khakismom
09-29-2003, 10:49 AM
Highly recommend the Munchkin bottle warmer (got it for $20 at Target). I've used 3 others that were PITAs to use and took forever to warm the bottle. The Munchkin has an auto-off switch, is small and so doesn't take up a lot of room, can fit all sizes of bottles (including Avent and Dr. Brown's wide-mouth), and a measuring piece to measure out exactly how much water to make it the right temperature. PLus, it warms the bottle very quickly--much quicker than the other 3 I tried.

HTH. Good luck! :)

JElaineB
09-29-2003, 04:28 PM
I really liked the Avent Microwave Steam Sterilizer. We have well water and when he was younger I sterilized all his bottles, nipples etc. Now I just run them through the dishwasher only.

I also recommend the First Years Quick Serve Bottle Warmer. Works fast and shuts off automatically. Easy to adjust the right water level. I had it in the kitchen and used it constantly until a couple of months ago. I now use the microwave or nothing as I am wanting him to drink cold bottles, but when I wanted them heated up more, this was a great warmer.

I do also have the First Years Night and Day bottle warmer. I did like it and it was a lifesaver for overnight bottles the first few months, especially if you have a 2-story house like I do. A mini-fridge would be great, but if you can't get one, I do recommend the Night and Day warmer. I kept it right in the baby's room. It is harder to get the water levels right than the Quick Serve warmer, but after I couple of weeks I had it down. Also, you can kind of tell when the bottle has gone long enough, so you can pull the bottle out before it shuts off if necessary.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02