PDA

View Full Version : Formula questions

ginamlee
09-29-2003, 02:30 PM
If I take cold formula out of the refrigerator, put it in a bottle and put that bottle in my diaper bag, how long is the formula safe for consumption?

Does the answer to this question change if the formula is made from powder versus concentrate versus ready-to-feed?

nathansmom
09-29-2003, 03:03 PM
I'm probably going to start a debate here but this is what I have done. I took a bottle of formula out of the fridge (ready to feed) and placed it on the counter. I tasted and smelled it for 2 hours before it went bad. I have used that as MY guideline for how long formula can go without being cool. If Nathan drinks part but not all of the formula I dump whats left and start fresh for the next bottle. I told my doctor what I do and he didn't have a problem with it. Also Nathan has never been sick to his stomach.

HTH

JElaineB
09-29-2003, 04:16 PM
For prepared formula (powder, concnetrate or RTF, doesn't matter), if the baby hasn't drank anything from it yet it can be left out for a maximum of 2 hours. Once the baby drinks from it, it is supposed to be an hour maximum from that, though I do sometimes go a little longer if he is almost done with the bottle. If I am traveling I either use powder packets and mix with water when he is ready to eat, or I take ready-to-feed bottles with ice packs, that way I don't have to worry about the 2 hour limit.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

KMommie
09-29-2003, 07:34 PM
I use powdered, and I also use the "two hour" rule. :)

Now, I do have a friend who will keep RTF out for several hours, and use the same bottle over a period of several hours. When she opens a RTF container she makes one bottle and serves it to baby. Whatever he doesn't finish she offers to him for the next couple of hours if he's thirsty. Her second bottle of RTF, comes from the fridge, and she heats it up once, and does the same thing. She told me she's kept bottles out for 4-5 hours in her house, no problem. If she went out, I think she'd do differently, since the temperature varies more. Her thinking is that the RTF is so expensive, she doesn't want to waste any and that the RTF seems to be better "preserved" than the powdered. She tried the "smell" test with the powdered and she said it only lasted an hour and a half. Go figure... I wouldn't be comfortable with her method, but it works for her.

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

ginamlee
09-30-2003, 10:17 PM
Thanks to everyone for your replies. Sounds like 2 hours is the overall consensus.

gisele
10-01-2003, 05:25 PM
Gina! I was thinking about you - how's the new baby? How are you? :-)

ginamlee
10-01-2003, 09:27 PM
Hi gisele!

I'm doing fine! Autumn was born on September 23 via c-section. I was in the hospital until Friday.

We took the Atlantico out for the first time on Monday and it was given a real field test. It had to travel through a small woods on a mulch path to my oldest daughter's field hockey game. It handled GREAT! I wasn't expecting it to do as well as it did on such rough terrain.

Today, I used the Navetta with the Atlantico for the first time. Wow, I'm really glad I got it. Autumn was so comfortable and enclosed and I liked being able to see her.

Anyway, I got my staples out yesterday and I'm about 5 pounds and 5 gazillion sit ups to being back to normal. LOL! But, those sit ups will have to wait for another month or so. My abdomen is totally against the idea for awhile. :)

gisele
10-02-2003, 04:01 PM
Hi gina!

Glad to hear you're doing well. Yep, the Atlantico does great on rough terrain - I've taken it "off road" a number of times! I love the Navetta too - my son was so much more comfortable in it than the car seat, and I liked being able to see him too.

I had a C-section too, so sympathize with your recovery. It's been 5 months and I haven't done any sit-ups yet, but I should get around to them. But my weight is back to normal.

BTW - we did buy that Philips bottle warmer - actually I bought two - gave one to my son's daycare. Let me know if you still want to know more about it.

ginamlee
10-02-2003, 04:20 PM
You know what? We got a Philips bottle warmer, too. I'm really pleased with it! I need to write a review of all of the baby stuff we decided on once I get around to it... :)

How do you like yours? It seems to heat to the right temperature each time. I put the bottle in, change Autumn's diaper, and when I return for the bottle, it is ready to go. Seems to work much better than the others I've seen reviewed.

gisele
10-02-2003, 05:16 PM
I like the bottle warmer. I bought one to try out and I was surprised how fast, and well it warmed (and not overwarmed) the milk. I gave that one to my son's daycare, and bought another for ourselves. I use it now to warm breastmilk to mix into his rice cereal. I put the milk in, get his bowl and cereal out, get him in his highchair, and the milk is ready to go. It will be useful to warm his babyfood when he's older.