PDA

View Full Version : BFing in Walmart changing room---yuck!!

deborah_r
09-29-2003, 09:57 PM
I was in Walmart the other day, which I hardly ever go to because it is kind of far for me and there are 2 Targets closer. (I think Pasadena is too hoity-toity to let a Walmart in) So DS gets hungry and I didn't want to go out to my hot car, so I thought "where can I sit to feed him?" So I went to the changing rooms, thinking it would be more pleasant than the bathroom, and it was so nasty. I was trying not to touch anything, and it actually smelled like urine in there.

Won't be doing that again!!!

bluej
09-30-2003, 05:06 AM
I don't know why, but it seems that most Walmarts are just nasty all around. I have a new one about ten minutes away (less than six months old). It's still nice and clean and somewhat organized, but I know it's just a matter of time before it starts to look like all the others. I hate it when I find stuff there that I like b/c it just encourages me to go back! That Walmart has benches throughout the store and I would breastfeed out in the open and not care who it bothered before I would go into the bathroom or dressing room. I have yet to have to do that there, but I have done it at Target in the food court several times (I spend way too much time at Target). I actually enjoy sitting there w/ my Diet Coke, nursing Ryden and watching people check out and see what they are getting (I SO need a life!). I'm sure this will be coming to an end soon as Ryden is starting to get frustrated when I cover him to eat (he likes to eat, look around and play all at the same time). I hope it was at least a speedy feeding for you so you didn't have to spend too much time in there!

ginalc
09-30-2003, 07:08 AM
Hey Deborah, Too bad about the stench in Walmart. I'm sure your little angel didn't mind one bit. I've nursed in the back of my car many times with the engine running and the air or heat on.
If you see a Mom put her kid in the car seat and crawl from the back seat to the front, that'd be me! ;)

Hey Jen, next time I'm in Target I'll wave! :)

Most embarrassing nursing moment? One week after delivery of my 2nd child the church was offering a Pancake breakfast. Someone else cooking? You bet we stayed! Anyway, one of the guys offering refills on drinks leans WAY over to admire my little bundle of joy. He hadn't realized I was nursing until he was a little too close and I swear he turned so red, then WHITE as a ghost when he realized what we were doing. I thought he was going to pass out and spill orange juice all over both of us! :)

gina, mom to 3

houseof3boys
09-30-2003, 09:46 AM
Nasty! I hope it was quick or you just did it enough to settle him. I actually have some orange fragrance spray in my diaper bag for moments like that. I have been known to gag to the point of almost vomiting at stinky places like that so I figured it would be worth it to save myself the disgust and just spray my freshener! I picked orange since it isn't perfumy and it lasts a while in the air in case I am there for too long. You would think that stores that have such a mommy presence like Walmart and Target would take a hint from Nordstrom and make a mommy room!!!!

jd11365
09-30-2003, 01:23 PM
This is a true story...one time many years ago, I was in a fitting room at Ross, and I actually watched pee and poop hit the floor in the adjoining room. When I got out to see if what I really saw was true...a girl around the age of 6 walked out and ran away. I of course let the management know, but eeew gross! I guess it could happen anywhere, but I do prefer the Target dressing room for BFing...it really is cleaner for some reason.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5/1/03

deborah_r
09-30-2003, 02:47 PM
I hear ya Jen! There was a brief time when it wasn't too hard to BF Kai in public, but now he likes to latch on, pop off, latch on, pop off, cry out, squirm, and if I cover him he sweats too much! So I can cover myself OK if he would just stay latched but when he is moving all about I just know I must be flashing everyone! Sigh...

I actually took bottles of EBM when we went to a fairly nice restaurant on Saturday. Thank god he is taking the bottle again!